Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I thought he had to keep him for 5 years.
Contracts can be bought out, FWIW, but true.
LOL

AFAIK John is fluent in all Stellantis languages. Brazilian Portuguese, American English, Italian and French. Can the same be said for mister Tavaresh?
Spricht Herr Elkann Hessisch? Jein! :cool:
I don't give a care in the world why Fiat does anything. I don't work for them nor do I hold any shares in the company. None of their management or finance details/justifications natter to me. My only care is what products they offer to sell, which is nothing that I would buy.

Not sure why guys keep telling me reasons and justifications that don't matter to me as a consumer.

They (meaning all auto manufacturers that sell in my area) don't sell anything I want, so I buy the bare minimum because I need to get around.

To drive anything I enjoy, I'll have to build myself. No problem, there are lots of retirees to make profit off with loaded (bloated) cars.
You keep giving us reasons why you won't buy X, and we keep telling you why they won't produce your Y. You're a stuck record since day one.

Reactions: danbek

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
I am a huge Dodge/Chrysler fan but just to play devil's advocate here, make a business case for a Dodge or Chrysler branded CUV/SUV. Jeep already has a full line of SUV/CUV's from small to full size and they sell at much higher margins "because Jeep." Why would FCA make a Dodge or Chrysler branded CUV when it costs about the same to build as the comparable Jeep but will have to sell for thousands of dollars less than that Jeep.

Face it, there is no viable business case for Dodge or Chrysler other than, "we want it." Ask yourself, if Dodge or Chrysler ceased sales of their branded vehicles next week, would the market even notice? They've been absent from the small and midsize CUV market since... well forever. They haven't made a small or mid size car in 4 years. Journey and Grand Caravan haven't been competitive in well over 5 years and sold because they appeal to the value shopper and fleets. I don't think anyone has really noticed that they stopped making either of those.

Point is, Dodge and Chrysler both have been absent from the market's most competitive and growing segments for almost a decade now. As far as most vehicle buying consumers are concerned, they already don't exist.
But there are people that refuse to buy a Jeep because of the long standing (and somewhat accurate) belief that Jeep quality sucks. When I bought my first Jeep in 1989 I knew fully about Jeeps poor reputation for fit and finish. For me the pros outweighed the cons. But that isn't the case for everyone. Another thing that automakers seem to ignore is the human animal that is the vehicle buyer. Psychology does play a part in what people want and choose. Brand loyalty and brand dismissal are real things. Just as Chrysler lost minivan sales when Plymouth was killed off, there are some lost sales by not having Dodge and Chrysler brand crossovers. Not everyone wants a Jeep.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,435 Posts
Not everyone wants a Jeep.
I know I don't. I've never looked at a single Jeep and thought, "Yeah, that looks nice!" They all look the same to me. The 2013 Cherokee was a nice step to take a risk with the styling (which I did like) but then they ruined it with the refresh.

Anyway, my next purchase is most likely going to be a Pacifica.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just as Chrysler lost minivan sales when Plymouth was killed off, there are some lost sales by not having Dodge and Chrysler brand crossovers. Not everyone wants a Jeep.
Likely insufficient return on capital to develop a Dodge or Chrysler brand crossover, even with additional sales.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Just as Chrysler lost minivan sales when Plymouth was killed off, there are some lost sales by not having Dodge and Chrysler brand crossovers. Not everyone wants a Jeep.
Yep, if we had to replace our Grand Caravan now we probably wouldn't even stop foot in a CDJR dealership. My wife doesn't want another minivan, doesn't like Jeeps, and wants AWD. We would look at a Chrysler crossover, but it doesn't exist.

·
2,435 Posts
Yep, if we had to replace our Grand Caravan now we probably wouldn't even stop foot in a CDJR dealership. My wife doesn't want another minivan, doesn't like Jeeps, and wants AWD. We would look at a Chrysler crossover, but it doesn't exist.
The Pacifica now has AWD ;)

I went from a Caravan to a Journey and honestly man, I've missed the minivan ever since. When you go from minivan to CUV you realize the CUV is trying to be a minivan except is inferior in all aspects. We're going to finally move on from the Journey next year and we're going to a Pacifica.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The Pacifica now has AWD ;)

I went from a Caravan to a Journey and honestly man, I've missed the minivan ever since. When you go from minivan to CUV you realize the CUV is trying to be a minivan except is inferior in all aspects. We're going to finally move on from the Journey next year and we're going to a Pacifica.
The problem is that she wants something smaller than the Grand Caravan, and the Pacifica appears to be larger.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This shouldn't be in the NEWS section of the forum.
The two sections should be merged, we are talking about the same stuff - and there aren't many of us, it would make the forum busier. And on my subject, a small 392 coupe would be a great V8 send off, not a C body challenger, they could do a red eye version on the 315 drag radials and it actually would run 9's and pull wheelies in the real world.

·
2,435 Posts
The two sections should be merged, we are talking about the same stuff - and there aren't many of us, it would make the forum busier. And on my subject, a small 392 coupe would be a great V8 send off, not a C body challenger, they could do a red eye version on the 315 drag radials and it actually would run 9's and pull wheelies in the real world.
I agree that the categories are in some cases too specific and too fragmented. I think the Mopar/FCA News and Rumors and Chrysler General Discussion should be merged. You've got topics in Mopar news on the first page last posted in 20 days ago. And the rumors section has stuff from months ago on page 1. There's definitely not enough traffic in either to justify the split.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I cannot for the life of me understand their lack of a crossover for Chrysler. It could be built at Windsor off the van platform now with AWD. It wouldn't compete with the van, but compliment it, plus keep needed jobs there. This isn't rocket science.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
173 Posts
And on my subject, a small 392 coupe would be a great V8 send off, not a C body challenger, they could do a red eye version on the 315 drag radials and it actually would run 9's and pull wheelies in the real world.
On WHAT chassis? Some fictional one that passes all the current regulations, meets EPA regulations, but still is "some sort of enthusiasts car" that's mad cheap (sub-30k) with no fancy electronic bs? There's no opportunity here. The bet would still be the *LA Challenger.
I get you never responded to the original comments staying related to the topic, but you don't have to pull some of this other stuff completely outta left field here. Demon's have run 9's... the record was just done with the lightest person FCA knew who could drag race very well, who just happened to be one of their drivers. And even then, people who have about 150 pounds on her have gotten the wheels up: they aren't touching the rear bumper on the ground, but a wheelie is the front wheels off the ground. No matter how far off the ground.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
173 Posts
But there are people that refuse to buy a Jeep because of the long standing (and somewhat accurate) belief that Jeep quality sucks.
Many of those people still believe in changing the oil once every 3 years and never rotating the tires as the best maintenance they can do to their vehicles lmao
In seriousness though, my Jeep is always said to be one of the most "unreliable", but the one thing that's wrong with it, is just because I'm overweight and I break stuff easy, as in my drivers seat frame. But public perception is still there about the "lack of quality", although that's starting to go away now. People I knew that had GMC's and Nissan's have gone to Jeep, and it's not even for the name, the image, or anything of that nature.
It's gonna be a battle to change the perception, but it's starting to change, imo.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Many of those people still believe in changing the oil once every 3 years and never rotating the tires as the best maintenance they can do to their vehicles lmao
In seriousness though, my Jeep is always said to be one of the most "unreliable", but the one thing that's wrong with it, is just because I'm overweight and I break stuff easy, as in my drivers seat frame. But public perception is still there about the "lack of quality", although that's starting to go away now. People I knew that had GMC's and Nissan's have gone to Jeep, and it's not even for the name, the image, or anything of that nature.
It's gonna be a battle to change the perception, but it's starting to change, imo.
Reliability isn't the only reason people don't want a Jeep. Some people don't need an off road crossover and the compromises that come with that.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
173 Posts
Reliability isn't the only reason people don't want a Jeep. Some people don't need an off road crossover and the compromises that come with that.
Yeah, my 225/65/17 wheel'd, got-stuck-on-a-small-hill, Compass, is an "off-road crossover" lmao
I mean, I understand the JL/JT's and any 'Trailhawk' trim being a bit "much", but the most mundane models, the Latitudes, base model Sports (again, sans JL/JT), an the other odd's and ends don't really have that many, if any, compromises compared to the competition, to me atleast.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re-create the 5.0L fox body from the 80's and early 90's. Boxy - but stylish (67-69 Dart), 300hp turbo 4cyl base engine, stick shift standard, base price $24,989. *Optional engine 6.4L hemi, 6-speed standard, 8-auto $2000 more, leather more, sunroof more - max price with 6.4 and full load $35,989.

But what would you call it? Demon and Dart names already taken - kinda.
They're not interested in selling us tech stripped cars for drivers.

You want the desireable engine you have to pay for all the creature comforts the non drivers and soccer moms want.

Driver's cars are a thing of the past.
As Tomguy said: $25k in 2000 is $37,800 today.
And there are a lot of boys and girls who are enjoying Dodge these days.
Young ones, not these moaning groaning old farts who are complaining on forums.
Not many 20/ 30 year old use forums, they are busy out on the streets.

So, stop using that keyboard and get behind the wheel.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
2 people I know who bought Scat Packs (an orange Challenger and a plum Charger) are around my age (mid 30s). Both are dads. And both of them optioned them with tech and the leather suede seats. Even with the Challenger being a stick.

I made a mistake. I should have bought a Charger Scat Pack for what I paid for my Pacifica. Lesson learned the hard way.

Reactions: Tony K

·
2,435 Posts
2 people I know who bought Scat Packs (an orange Challenger and a plum Charger) are around my age (mid 30s). Both are dads. And both of them optioned them with tech and the leather suede seats. Even with the Challenger being a stick.

I made a mistake. I should have bought a Charger Scat Pack for what I paid for my Pacifica. Lesson learned the hard way.
Yeah, well who they going to call when they have to bring home a dresser or a couple sheets of plywood?

·
Registered
669 Posts
As Tomguy said: $25k in 2000 is $37,800 today.
And there are a lot of boys and girls who are enjoying Dodge these days.
Young ones, not these moaning groaning old farts who are complaining on forums.
Not many 20/ 30 year old use forums, they are busy out on the streets.

So, stop using that keyboard and get behind the wheel.
Dodge has the formula right, which is make cars that specifically young people covet. And even if you have to settle for a V6 Charger or Challenger, it still looks the part.
The only thing Dodge is missing is a Civic Type R competitor...the Neon SRT is a legendary nameplate, it means something. I'm sure Peugeot has a small car that SRT engineers can tinker with...

Yeah, well who they going to call when they have to bring home a dresser or a couple sheets of plywood?
You ain't putting a dresser or plywood sheets in my $55,000 Pacifica Pinnacle! :p

21 - 40 of 53 Posts