Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know how valuable the Plymouth Belvederes from the muscle car era can be, but here's a surprise;

The Aug 19 issue of "Autoweek" is reporting that a 1956 Plymouth Belvedere convertible with std 276ci motor and 2 speed Powerflite trans in very good overall condition was just sold by RM auctions for...........................................................$90,750!

"Autoweek" stated that 6,735 of these vehicles were originally produced which is relatively low production but not really in the "rare" category. I'm wondering what a much rarer '56 Fury in good shape might be worth?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
There has to be something else special about this convertible. One high price like this does not necessarily translate to the price of another model. Is it possible the car was owned by someone of note, in a movie, or anything else special?

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Or it could be two people with lots of money to burn really wanted the car.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dana44 said:
There has to be something else special about this convertible. One high price like this does not necessarily translate to the price of another model. Is it possible the car was owned by someone of note, in a movie, or anything else special?
Not really. I'm re-reading the article right now. It's a 2 owner car originally ordered by a Wisconsin dealer to highlight his showroom. Picture shows Turquoise color w/black trim panel. It does mention the factory installation of a rare Hi-Fi under-dash record player, but also states that they were notorious for warranty caims, so that's probably not a value adding asset.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
While the Highway Hi Fi was troublesome when new, but this option is worth money to collectors today. I have a friend who deals in 50's Mopar parts and the bit and pieces (and even the special records) of the Highway Hi Fi bring big dollars - and if you find a complete unit ready to install - you'd better have some serious money ready.

Still that does not explain what I think is a large price for this car.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Even Leno craves the Highway Hi-Fi, still seeking records to go with it. He only has two as they are a unique speed.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave said:
If it's a very low mileage, high quality car, that might do it. Does seem high but convertibles are always higher price cars than sedans.
Mileage wasn't mentioned in the article. Car is in very good condition, but not of concours quality. I always liked the '56s (my Dad had a '56 wagon for his business car for awhile) but '56 is not a classic year like the '59 was or the 2dr 62 - 65 V8s are. I'm participating on another board where guys are cutting up '62 - 65 4drs to shorten them and make 2 dr sedans out of them because 2drs from that era are impossibe to find at a decent price (they say).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts