Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 17 yo kid that has brought a 2000 Chrysler 300m back to life, I’m looking to bring a little more life into her with some more power. I’m looking at upgrading injectors but have had no luck finding anything at all for this platform. If anyone could help me with information on where to get bigger injectors that fit and wether or not i would need a bigger throttle body and where to find that as well would be great
Thanks
-Easy

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
381 Posts
That's gonna be a bit of a tough one. It depends on the motor, and even then, none of them are the greatest in terms of adding extra performance.... if the aftermarket even makes anything for the motor/vehicle in question.
Best bet would be the 300M Club's forums (such as: Performance Modifications - Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club ), as those people have even detailed their turbo own 300 builds (all custom), or you can dig deep into the engine family and test/tune. Try adding injectors from the different motors (You have the 2.7 DOHC, 3.2, 3.5, & 4.0), and the best bet out of those would be the 4L, but even then its a crap shoot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try adding injectors from the different motors (You have the 2.7 DOHC, 3.2, 3.5, & 4.0), and the best bet out of those would be the 4L
Thanks, I’ll have to research about if any of those will fit the 3.5 Single cam

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
381 Posts
Thanks, I’ll have to research about if any of those will fit the 3.5 Single cam
The 4 liter is literally a longer stroke 3.5 liter. I just don't know how similar everything is on them, hence the whole "it's a crap shoot" lmao

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 4 liter is literally a longer stroke 3.5 liter. I just don't know how similar everything is on them, hence the whole "it's a crap shoot" lmao
Yeah lol, its not looking like theres much of a difference in newer injectors, maybe the injectors will hold up and get me more power with a bigger fuel pump and a tune with a little more fuel?

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The OEM fuel injectors should have more than enough flow for any driving condition that a stock engine might encounter. If not, then something is wrong with the fuel system. At 20 years old, there may be deposits in the lines and rails? The inside of the fuel tank can look ugly at this age.
A performance engine building outfit might be able to check injector spray pattern for you. Generally the injectors weren't an issue.
Making things richer with 'bigger' injectors won't help with torque output, as the O2 feedback loop will back off injector pulsewidth and keep the mixture balanced.

·
KOG
7,077 Posts
Running bigger injectors does NOT make more power. Unless you can get more air into the engine it doesn't need and can't use more fuel. I was 17 once too. Time for you to do some studying about how engines run and work before you touch anything. You're not there yet. You're probably figuring that "bigger" injectors make more power because they're usually needed when some variety of supercharger is used to stuff more air into an engine in order to make more power. If you do manage to get more fuel into your otherwise stock engine it will only run richer and may very well make less power as well as using considerably more fuel.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Registered
1 Posts
The engine is really at the max it can do from the factory. They tried to make a turbo version and they just blew the bottoms out of them. 300hp is about it.
The 42LE is going to be your biggest issue they capped engine out put at 250 because that is all it can handle.

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts
Agree. The auto manufacturers are in a horsepower/fuel economy race while meeting emissions and good driveability requirements.
Chrysler engineering has tuned this motor to be at its 'optimum' level in all respects and is a state-of-the-art piece for the money.
The aftermarket jet chips and CAI kits are mostly marketing and noise with no real power or economy benefits. Your 300m already has CAI from the factory. Intake air baffles and resonator chambers won't rob horsepower.
Enjoy the 300m for what it is. Decent looks, handling, economy, power, comfort and luxury. :)

Reactions: valiant67

·
Registered
233 Posts
Enjoy the 300m for what it is. Decent looks, handling, economy, power, comfort and luxury. :)
Those thoughts are probably going to be lost on the OP. Earlier this year while I was watching kijiji ads for 300m's being sold in my area, one came up where the owner had modded the car with chips and stuff and had removed the mufflers. This is apparently part of a sickness that has been going on for the last couple of years - knuckleheads adding backfire kits (aka fart cans) to their cars so that every gear change was met with a volley of backfire noise - which they enjoyed doing in the middle of the night. I have a theory that this became a craze when our province (Ontario) decommissioned the drive-clean (emissions test) program - so the emissions / exhaust systems were being modded with no consequences. The cops finally got off their [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] and did a massive blitz and fined 150+ drivers. I don't hear the backfiring any more. The 300m with the exhaust removed would have been a tough sell - you're looking at probably $1000+ to have one put on when it goes through a safety and ownership change.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
There is an issue here with bigger injectors. It'd be super easy to cross-reference almost any injector that flows more as long as it physically fits, which is not hard at all.

Are you putting in a piggyback engine controller (or a full blown standalone) to control the extra fuel that is going into the engine? One of two things is going to happen if not:
  1. The stock PCM will pulse the injectors shorter to keep the fuel delivery the same based on air/fuel (and exhaust gas) maps,
  2. The stock PCM will not be able to pulse short enough with its existing maps and you will run richer, which makes LESS power than lean, not to mention fuel washing oil off cylinder walls, burning out catalytic converters, and just getting worse MPG.
I'm all for more power but I've had my 300M for >13 years now and I've done a whole lot of looking into the best ways to get more and the answer is always "Why?" - it already smokes the front tires under any type of hard acceleration. More power is going to shorten the life of the transaxle, and while more power is always better, the best ways to increase power would be cams and a bore/stroke to the 4.0 internals - which a handful of people have done, only to realize the stock PCM is limited and will get you about 30 more WHP with 0.5 more liters and cams and injectors. And with a 2000 non-Special / PHP, you still have a 118MPH speed limiter, so if you manage to somehow get there by the end of the quarter-mile (or whatever track / situation you are in) it is finite how useful it is regardless.

Now, if you really want to modify a 3.5, the LX is a much better platform. RWD (or AWD), I've seen turbo and supercharged 3.5 LX cars. And then there are 4 Hemi options in the LX as well (5.7, 5.7 VCT, 6.1, and 6.4). Plus the NAG1 transmissions are pretty damn strong, as in 700+ HP in stock transmissions without an issue. And aftermarket tuners are available for the LX, so you won't need to purchase a standalone or piggyback ($$$)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Oh, and to add... I do want more power in my 300M. And I have an idea/dream to make it a reality. But it would no longer be FWD or a V6 if done properly, and would require a LOT of effort. I am trying to decide if the effort is worth it on a >20 year-old car or not. But I am unsure if I care about "Worth it" from that POV and may just want a challenge / something to do regardless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts