Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
1,128 Posts
Pretty cool story. It's a shame that filthy-rich collectors will end up with all these cars but the stories behind some of them are cool for the rest of us to read.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,480 Posts
Pretty cool story. It's a shame that filthy-rich collectors will end up with all these cars but the stories behind some of them are cool for the rest of us to read.
Yeah that's one thing about the late 60s to early 70s muscle cars that today's cars can't touch. Those cars were available for almost anyone that had job could afford. Today's models like these aren't available to the average person anymore. Just a select few that are for the most part buying them to sell a few years later hoping to clean up money wise. It's a free country after all.

·
Administrator
40,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the other hand, the average person can buy a car with performance that will blow away most of the classic muscle cars. As standards go up, being the fastest gets pricier. I mean, 300 gross horsepower was a Big Deal in the 1950s. The 426 Hemi was less than 400 net horsepower - closer to 5.7 hemi than 6.4.... and today you can get a $33,000 Chevy that'll run 0-60 in 6.7 seconds. Direct comparisons are kinda hard.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
4300 bucks got you in a 70 Superbird. Around 33k today. Will that 33k Chevy or a V6 Challenger be worth what a bird is today 50 years from now? Ain't no way. The price of a Hellcat today would've bought you an 11k vehicle in 1970. That is more then a Cadillac Fleetwood limo cost then.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
4300 bucks got you in a 70 Superbird. Around 33k today. Will that 33k Chevy or a V6 Challenger be worth what a bird is today 50 years from now? Ain't no way. The price of a Hellcat today would've bought you an 11k vehicle in 1970. That is more then a Cadillac Fleetwood limo cost then.
To get that 70 Superbird to its current value you either had to drive it very little and store it very well which isn’t cheap, or spend most (if not more) of the current value to restore it - the $4k Superbird 50 years ago isn’t the great investment it seems at first.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
To get that 70 Superbird to its current value you either had to drive it very little and store it very well which isn’t cheap, or spend most (if not more) of the current value to restore it - the $4k Superbird 50 years ago isn’t the great investment it seems at first.
I think I was more shocked at what one of the top Challengers cost today vs what the equivalent bought you in 1970. Not many people could afford a Fleetwood limo back then, which at 11k was comparable to 80k plus that the Hellcat or others cost now.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
I think I was more shocked at what one of the top Challengers cost today vs what the equivalent bought you in 1970. Not many people could afford a Fleetwood limo back then, which at 11k was comparable to 80k plus that the Hellcat or others cost now.
And how much more performance, comfort, safety, and even fuel economy are you getting now?
People think it was gasoline prices that killed the original muscle cars. But it was also insurance. Hard to control them in those skinny “wide tread” bias tires. So many were crashed early in life.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
And how much more performance, comfort, safety, and even fuel economy are you getting now?
People think it was gasoline prices that killed the original muscle cars. But it was also insurance. Hard to control them in those skinny “wide tread” bias tires. So many were crashed early in life.
Well in my book there ain't no way it's worth 80k plus, sorry. That's almost twice what my new Grand Cherokee cost.

·
Administrator
40,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So get the one that would beat nearly every 1970 Challenger in the straight, and whup them around any turns or when stopping - the 3.6 eight-speed. That's around the same price, with inflation, as the 1970 Challenger. But air conditioning is free ;)

·
Registered
2021 Durango Blacktop, Scat Pack Wide Body
20 Posts
I had the original, honestly in comparison they sucked big time. Less power, barely turned, forget about stopping it.
But ah, the appeal to want what you didn't have.
I could buy anyone I wanted I stayed modern for a reason. Will I get another old one possibly when the market crashes.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I love the send off Dodge and Chrysler are giving the L Cars it is another end to a era that most of us will fondly remember the HP wars most of us are old enough to vaguely remember the 70's cars but what gets me is all the negativity with the so called Mopar community, I've been a loyal Mopar owner for 37 years and I can't wait to see what is the next evolution in Mopar storied history whether it is bad or good. The Last two releases have been awesome in my book as they honor some legendary people who loved their Mopars.

·
Administrator
40,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still always amazed that our base-engine 300C (2013) will outrun most of the old muscle cars, with 292 net horsepower... lest we forget, here are some net horsepower ratings from 1971:
Slant six - 110 (3.7 liters)
318 V8 (5.2 l) - 155 hp
383 4-bbl - 250 hp
440 V8 (4-bbl) - 305 hp

To really get on top of that base V6 in the 300C, which keep in mind is rated on a tougher SAE schedule than the old engines and doesn’t need to be retuned every month or two to stay at its rated output, and is connected to an eight-speed with a range that they couldn't even dream of in 1971, you'd need to go up to the famed 426 Hemi, with 350 net horsepower. Or maybe a 440 Six-Pack with 330 net horsepower.

And today that's all available with the 5.7 V8... which I think is still available with a six-speed manual (back in the day, a four-speed was as good as it got).

And you don't have to pay for single-digit gas mileage. I believe EPA ratings of our car were 18/31. That 18 city is better than you could expect on the highway with any V8 but maybe the 318, back in 1971.

So yes, over the past half century things have gotten more expensive, but adjusted for inflation, a car today gives you more for your money except in comparison to other cars. If the goal is to have more power than your neighbor, yes, it's pricier today. If your goal is 0-60 in 7 seconds or whatever, it's a lot cheaper now. 0-60 in 8 seconds was quite fast then, it's slow now... and you can stop your car without sliding, too, and steer around a tight turn.

·
Registered
60 Posts
On the other hand, the average person can buy a car with performance that will blow away most of the classic muscle cars. As standards go up, being the fastest gets pricier. I mean, 300 gross horsepower was a Big Deal in the 1950s. The 426 Hemi was less than 400 net horsepower - closer to 5.7 hemi than 6.4.... and today you can get a $33,000 Chevy that'll run 0-60 in 6.7 seconds. Direct comparisons are kinda hard.
The 426 Street Hemi was dynoded at 500+ HP and 600 torque, the factory rating was bogus

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 426 Street Hemi was dynoded at 500+ HP and 600 torque, the factory rating was bogus
Don't have it on hand but my book also has the 4bbl 440 at 375hp until the compression drop. I see 300 ish for the 383.
In 66 the Hemi option was $800.00 on a $3000..car, and only came with a 90 day warranty

1 - 20 of 35 Posts