Allpar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Chrysler 200 is making a loud knocking noise behind the drivers side gauges whenever any changes are made to my AC unit or recirculated air module. I believe it is the blend actuator but I’m not sure how to access it. any insight?

·
Super Moderator
32,803 Posts
I have the factory service manual on DVD and can do screen shots tomorrow of this. All 3 motors (blend, mode and recirculate) are the same Chrysler part number. Basically once you get beyond the horror of accessing it, you unplug it, take out a couple of Phillips screws and pull. Reverse to install.
My wife's 2012 had the same issue with the recirc motor, clacking loudly next to the glovebox every time a change was made, but also for about 20 minutes after you shut it off, at least a few times Never found anything broken in it.
STRONG advice: Do NOT buy a Dorman or other knockoff brand. I used a Dorman part for 21 and it failed in a few months. Bought the Mopar part from Rockauto.com for about $30, and it's been over a year, no issues. It's a common problem.
I think the motors are all in the middle or right side, though. Be sure you know which one is doing it.

·
Super Moderator
32,803 Posts
And welcome to Allpar!

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
. . . . My 2012 Chrysler 200 is making a loud knocking noise behind the drivers side gauges whenever any changes are made to my AC unit or recirculated air module. I believe it is the blend actuator but I’m not sure how to access . . . .
Do you have manual HVAC control or automatic? The following description if for testing manual HVAC.

Since the HVAC is electrically controlled, you can test and determine which actuator(s) are not functioning properly while the car is at rest. Locate the vehicle in a quiet area. Turn the ignition key switch to the ON / RUN position but do not start the engine. Set the fan speed control at its lowest setting beyond OFF.

Push the RECIRC button (center of fan control knob) to engage recirculation. Do you hear the strange knocking noise? If YES then the actuator probably has a stripped gear.

To test the temperature blend door turn the TEMP knob clockwise and counterclockwise and listen for smooth movement. Likewise turn the MODE knob clockwise and counterclockwise so you get air directed to the vent, bi-level or floor. Do you hear the knocking noise? This will help isolate which actuator(s) are broken / malfunctioning.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,680 Posts
The 'knocking' is an actuator plastic gear tooth over-running its mating gear, possibly due to a stuck or stalled air door? A new actuator may do the same exact thing if the door doesn't move freely.
Does it seem to happen when changing temperature or def/floor/vent mode? Diagnose the situation first.

·
Super Moderator
32,803 Posts
When my wife's car made that clacking noise, I disassembled the original actuator, and there was no damage to any of the gears, and the door moved freely. Same thing when the Dorman replacement actuator failed a few months later. No damage found at all when looking inside. It's been fine for over a year with the replacement Mopar part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.