Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing the radiator fan relay I now have three new problems.
1) the blower motor and 2) the turn signals do not operate and 3) one air bag light stays on.
Here's what I found so far:
The 40 amp blower motor fuse is good with voltage on both sides. The blower motor relay coil has no voltage with the blower control turned on. Jumping the blower switch contacts on the blower motor relay socket turns the blower motor on so the blower is ok.

Here's what I think caused this problem:
Originally the radiator cooling fan would not turn off. I thought the solid state cooling fan relay was defective. Replacing that relay corrected my original problem. My guess is my work, disassembling and poking around, caused the new problems.

I can't find the wiring schematic for this on line.
Where should I look to find a common cause for these three new symptoms?

·
Super Moderator
37,238 Posts
I don't know what vehicle you are working on, but one common point for all these issues is the ignition switch. If it's sticking in start rather than returning to run, several items are disabled and the airbag probably never enters the self-test to extinguish the light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark. This is my 1999 Caravan 2.4 L. I was guessing that, in my search to locate the cooling fan relay, I caused these new symptoms.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. It's always a good idea to disconnect the battery negative terminal when replacing 'powered' electrical items. The radiator fan relay is powered by the battery all the time.
I agree that the ign switch has to return to the 'run' position for the accessories to work.
The 2000 NS/GS wiring diagram should be similar to yours:
ftp://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service%20Manuals/2000_GS_Town&Country_Caravan_Voyager_Diagnostic_Diesel_Version_Incl/EGS_8W.PDF
Power distribution is chapter 8W-10. Blower motor relay is in 8W-42. Turn signals are in 8W-52. Look for a common theme for the items that don't work and investigate where the power supply for them ends. Check and clean battery terminals/body grounds as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the clue and the link. I had to replace the ftp:// with http:// to connect. What a wealth of info!
I found my mistake. I failed to return an accessory fuse to it's proper place while looking for the original problem source. I left in in the Spare socket.
:rolleyes:... My line is servicing two way radio equipment

1 - 5 of 5 Posts