Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Mopar K-car drivers ,,,,,,,, anyone here have any experience /stories using that Head gasket /Block sealer called "BLUE DEVIL" , I had to use it in my 86 Lebaron 2.5 ,, seemed to fix it ,but now I am noticing oil steaming out the side of head near exhaust/intake Manifold.

i coul not replace thatHeadgasket /Too cold to work on it,up in these NY winters.

regards ,stu

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think it depends on what your plans for the car are. Are you just trying to make it until you can find place to work on it or until you get another car? It might hold, it might do nothing, or it might cause more problems, it's more luck than anything.

A wise person one told me "Repairs do not come in cans or bottles."

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
Agree. It might be good enough to seal it temporarily until the weather is better in a few months, but I would not depend on it to hold for long. Replace the HG as soon as reasonably possible. Very few "mehanic in a bottle" remedies last very long - short term solutions at best.

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
I had it do more damage than good when a "mechanic" dumped it in a friends K car to try to fix an overheating problem.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
All these things are definitely, "I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and without it, it won't get me out of here", items.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Is it possible that the "oil steaming" out of the head is an oil leak from the valve cover ? If it's coolant leaking then it's a head gasket for sure and you'll be overheating. If it IS the head gasket sideline the car until you can replace the gasket. There's no way you can get through the winter with a bad head gasket.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
DON'T USE THESE PRODUCTS. My uncle (previous owner of my '95) put one of these snot-in-a-can (if you've seen the effects of the "treatment", you'll know what I'm talking about) products in his '90 Spirit. He is an extremely exacting individual, so I have no doubt that he precisely followed the instructions, and was treated to several hours of picking grey polymer out of the coolant passages in the block and head when the car eventually needed the head gasket done properly. I've seen some of the pictures he took-- some of the coolant passages were almost completely closed. No $19.99 polymer that is simply dumped into the cooling system will come even close to approximating a proper head gasket job. It may stop the leak, but it will also seriously inhibit the cooling system's functionality.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HMMM - Blue Devil Certainly is NOT 19.95 !! it,s $50.00 a bottle!!!! -- I here all your advice don,t rely on "miracles in a CAN!!! - it worked for 1 week on this K-car.

BTW - is it Possible for a Water Pump to "not spin" as far as the Impellers go??? Yet the outside pulley be ok ??? what could happen???-adios ,stu

·
Super Moderator
36,928 Posts
It's more likely the impellers have rotted away to the point they don't move as much coolant than that they aren't spinning with the pulley.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
What makes you suspect that the water pump is gone?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts