Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I hope this is the right place to post this kind of question. If not, I apologize and hope a mod will move it.

BACKGROUND
I have a 2013 Challenger R/T Classic that I absolutely love. I was bummed in the beginning that Siri can't be used while the bluetooth is connected and that I can't access things like phonebook and SMS, like, I believe Android users can, but I got used to it and took it for what it is; a badass muscle car with some very sweet bells and whistles.

THE PROBLEM
However, my phone now won't hold a stable bluetooth connection for streaming music and talking on the phone. The connection jumps back and forth between the bluetooth connection and the handset every few seconds. This problem is very annoying. Having bluetooth for these purposes was a big selling point.

What I find to be odd is that 9.1 was working fine for two weeks after updating and all of the sudden it's not working consistently.

WHAT I'VE TRIED TO FIX IT
I've checked my UCONNECT for updates and my version is current.

I did a reset procedure (twice) and that didn't help.

I called UCONNECT and was very disappointed with the disinterested and unconcerned response that I got from the technician(?) that I spoke with. Basically, she said, "Oh, you are running an iPhone 6 with the current 9.1 iOS?" Yeah...you are outta luck. Lots of people are reporting problems with that, sooo...." She did suggest that I could hack my phone and downgrade my iOS. I don't find that to be an acceptable solution. From what I could get out of her it doesn't sound like UCONNECT is any rush to fix this problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm super bummed and, really, even more so about UCONNECT's lack of interest in fixing it.

Thanks in advance for any info or help.

·
Super Moderator
38,014 Posts
How do you know the car is at fault since the software on the car has not changed? At the very least, it does not sound like a software problem since that was unchanged on the car. That would only leave a hardware issue to me.

I'd try your phone on another similar car, either from a friend, a rental or a dealer test drive.

That way you can find if the fault is your car or your phone.

·
Super Moderator
21,802 Posts
Has the dealer updated the Media Center software to the latest version? There are periodic software updates for the various modules.
It helps to have the latest and greatest version, even if it may not address your particular concern. This is an example of TSB # 08-112-14 and it may already be obsolete. Check with your dealer:
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0811214.pdf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a fair guess and I will try using my husband's phone in it and also try my phone in my mom's car.

The reason that I assumed it was UCONNECT was because I've had connectivity problems with it once or twice before that were very similar and a reset 9 (that a rep walked me through) fixed them. Then, when speaking to the UCONNECT rep she confirmed that "lots of people are having this problem." When I said, "yeah, but it's a bit odd that everything was fine for a couple weeks then this started," she confirmed that she had received a lot of calls like that. It still seems odd to me and her nonchalant attitude didn't help my confidence.

Thank you for the suggestions and I'll give them a shot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the dealer hasn't updated the Media Center software. I did check online (running my VIN) and it showed that the UCONNECT software was up to date. I'm not sure if those are the same software or not.

I really cannot stand the dealership in my area. I avoid interacting with them at all costs and they really haven't given me any reason to trust them. I would go to another dealership, but they are so far away. Which is pretty crazy since I live in a big city. If I have to suck it up and take my car to them I will, but I'm trying to do any troubleshooting that I can on my own first.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into Media Center software.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You are doing the right thing by doing your home work first before going to the dealer in question... I find dealers treat you a whole lot different when you know what your talking about, that is what's great about being part of the Allpar culture. Instead of driving out of your way to get good service, make that good service be there for you. The last thing the dealer wants is for you the phone customer service about how there doing but sometimes they need a shake up because we are all human and complacency is a tendency.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Unfortunately, this is an ongoing problem with all the Radio/Entertainment Centers in Cars today. When the phone updates to a newer version of software, there are compatibility problems with the Radio/Entertainment Center. It seems to be worse with Apple, but they all have problems.

The only real solution for you, is to have the manufacturer, either FCA or the Radio/Entertainment Center Manufacturer update the software for the Radio. But, they have been slow in doing so, better than the past when they often didn't update it at all.

You can try to disable features, hoping the one that is causing the incompatibility is removed, allowing the others to work. Some people buy an aftermarket Bluetooth hand free kit and use that and just disable the feature in the vehicle.

If I ask about Apple Compatibility for my 2010 from Customer Service, they will read a script saying "They are aware of the problem and are working on a fix that will be released soon." 5 years later, that fix has NOT been released. I ended up ditching the factory Radio and installing an aftermarket unit and that works. But, they are getting better and that's NOT likely to happen to you. You may have to wait longer than you should, but they have been distributing updates to the Radio's lately, and often you can install them yourself instead of having to go to the dealer.

There are different things they are considering for future car Radio's and Phone's that should make this incompatibility situation better, that doesn't help people with the problems today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply, Rick. I hope I don't end up in your situation! What a bummer that is.

That all-in-one media center was a big bell and whistle to me when I bought the car. I don't use the navigation now, because the WAZE app is so much better, but I do love the bluetooth music streaming and calling.

I find it odd that my car is a 2013 and I've never been notified to update my system and when I ran my VIN for a UCONNECT update it shows that the system is up to date. How often are these kinds of systems updated?

·
Super Moderator
38,014 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Rick. I hope I don't end up in your situation! What a bummer that is.

That all-in-one media center was a big bell and whistle to me when I bought the car. I don't use the navigation now, because the WAZE app is so much better, but I do love the bluetooth music streaming and calling.

I find it odd that my car is a 2013 and I've never been notified to update my system and when I ran my VIN for a UCONNECT update it shows that the system is up to date. How often are these kinds of systems updated?
Honestly not very often. That's the sad part

1 - 9 of 9 Posts