Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a story @ ACARPLACE.COM; Doesn't even mention Chrysler..

BMW 281,460

Lexus 274,134

Mercedes-Benz 244,166

Acura 156,216

Caddilac 149,782

Audi 139,310

Infiniti 119,877

Lincoln 82,150

..it goes on w/a couple more brands I don't want to waste my time including..

btw Chyrsler sold 307,967 cars in 2012!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't think Chrysler is considered a 'luxury' brand, what with low-line versions of the 200, T&C and 300. I wish that the Chrysler brand would go 'upscale only' at some point.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
If you look at the "status" gap between Lincoln/Ford, Audi/VW, Caddilac/Chevrolet, can you honestly say that the same gap exists between Chrysler and Dodge?

It will take some effort to get Chrysler back on that list... and family mini-vans don't get you there.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
If you look at the "status" gap between Lincoln/Ford, Audi/VW, Caddilac/Chevrolet, can you honestly say that the same gap exists between Chrysler and Dodge?

It will take some effort to get Chrysler back on that list... and family mini-vans don't get you there.
In Canada (except for the 200) there is.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Although I can't say as a consumer that it is always a bad thing. I've seen some outright awful "luxury" car interiors that I wouldn't shell out the premium for.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not sure it's a good idea to upscale the Chrysler brand to make it compete with the other brands on the list (at least in terms of price).

Can be a very risky operation and honestly I don't see a bright future for Lincoln and Cadillac.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Gotta love the lincoln ads that showcase their history of what everyone thinks of as lincoln... big luxury bloaty land yachts. Now inspiration comes from eagles and manta rays! I still cannot believe the money put down for escalades and navigators... or those that aspire to own them third hand with many thousands of miles and heck knows what has been done to the poor things by the last two owners. I find luxury suvs kind of silly anyway. If I want something massive, bloated, and decked out better I'll go for a modern conversion van with the flat screen in the roof. Can nab one with AWD as well, which I'll gladly take over 4wd for the nasty pavement... because at least I won't lie to myself thinking I want to take such an expensive land boat offroad.

It is kind of like the one Chrysler commercial mentioning building cars for more people. The current array (for better or worse) can be had by pretty much anyone in the market for a new car. They are nice premium cars without the extra 30 thousand tacked on for a name. I know many that own a 200 that feel they've stepped up to a classier feeling car that would have never considered something double the price for a name. I know my mom things her 200 limited is the nicest car she has ever had and she didn't pay anymore for it than a low level accord. I just wish she would stop maiming the damn thing lol. Mirror, side scratch, bumper ...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ya let's not kid ourselves, Chrysler and Buick make nice cars, but they shouldn't be on that list. And neither should Lincoln, Acura, most Infinitis, and some Cadillacs and Daimlers. Did they list Jaguar, Land Rover, Porsche and such? Or are you just showing the top sellers?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
BMW, Mercedes and others skate by on their reputation as luxury cars, but frankly, they leave a lot to be desired in fit, finish, NVH and "feel". Top of the line 300's are just as nice, but there aren't 300,000 of them, I think that number includes the T&C.
Real luxury today consists of the Jaguar XJ, Cadillac XTS, Chrysler 300 Executive Series and a handful of the top tier Mercs and BMW's.
The BMW 3 Series and Merc C class are not to be counted as top tier luxury cars, more like status cars and the "status" part I leave to the reader. ;)

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
I recall during the DCX days how during the fleet sales presentations they were pushing the Mercedes C-Class as something companies would offer as a bonus or enticement to a "middle manager that did good." I told the guy "I'd rather have a 300."

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
vipermoon64 said:
Ya let's not kid ourselves, Chrysler and Buick make nice cars, but they shouldn't be on that list. And neither should Lincoln, Acura, most Infinitis, and some Cadillacs and Daimlers. Did they list Jaguar, Land Rover, Porsche and such? Or are you just showing the top sellers?
MoparNorm said:
BMW, Mercedes and others skate by on their reputation as luxury cars, but frankly, they leave a lot to be desired in fit, finish, NVH and "feel". Top of the line 300's are just as nice, but there aren't 300,000 of them, I think that number includes the T&C.
Real luxury today consists of the Jaguar XJ, Cadillac XTS, Chrysler 300 Executive Series and a handful of the top tier Mercs and BMW's.
The BMW 3 Series and Merc C class are not to be counted as top tier luxury cars, more like status cars and the "status" part I leave to the reader. ;)
Well stated IMHO.

One's paying for the perception of 'luxury' when being seen in a BMW, M-B, Lexus (never mind it came from nowhere in 1990 as a rebadged Toyota), Jaguar, etc.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The problem is that Chrysler sells cars with the same price as BMW,Mercedes and Audi,and the consumer rather spends the same money for those imports. Chrtsler must change how the consumer percibes Chrysler,they most improve their image,they must upgrade their dealers,a though job,they have a lot to do. In fact I thicnk they are not sevlling well the Dxurango because the consumer isnt willing to pay high prices for a Dodge.
They will pay for a Jeep and no more.Jeep is concived different.

·
Registered
162 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I think you are thinking of it wrong. To be called a luxury brand all of your cars don't have to be super expensive. The 3 series can be called a luxury car not because of its status but because they are well built, comfortable, have a great amount of features, etc. And I know some will mention the fact that the features standard on the 3 series aren't much. But remember, the 3 series starts at about 35k and the features it does have standard and available are top of the line in quality of.

And Cadillac XTS? I've driven that car, my uncle has one, and I read the Caranddriver review. It has a lot of features and it is comfortable from a floating standpoint and the steering is so light I think I could have steered with my tongue. But that is not a "luxury" car it's just an FWD, expensive, feature filled car...at least not my idea of a luxury car.

Disclaimer: this is all I.M.O

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I guess it would be a perfect time to bring back the Imperial and make a real luxury model to add to the luxury brands, just to be fair. We know they have the capability, knowledge and technology to do such a thing, so leave things alone the way they are and make a luxury Imperial.

But do us all a favor and get some advertising that is worth a damn, so tired of the perception that the "other than Japanese and European" cars are garbage, it needs to be fixed like a hole in a dam.

·
Registered
162 Posts
dana44 said:
I guess it would be a perfect time to bring back the Imperial and make a real luxury model to add to the luxury brands, just to be fair. We know they have the capability, knowledge and technology to do such a thing, so leave things alone the way they are and make a luxury Imperial.

But do us all a favor and get some advertising that is worth a damn, so tired of the perception that the "other than Japanese and European" cars are garbage, it needs to be fixed like a hole in a dam.
Perception that they are garbage? If you're talking real world, then there isn't such a thing (though I think a lot of Japanese cars deserve that perception). If you're saying Allpar members have that perception, it does seem that way (to me), yes.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
For the past couple decades Chrysler as a brand has gone downhill overall. Trying to do volume and rebadging in order to sell cars, to which there has been good and bad over the years. If you think about it, the Viper is the only Mopar luxury car they have. Why? Because they go out of their way to make that car the best of the best in several classes, and they do a very good job at that. SRT, in the beginning, was making the best in its class at a reasonable cost. Shortly afterwards, it became an overpriced machine that didn't meet the standards set with the first SRT model year. Now, given they can do the Viper the way they do, and SRT at a price only a few can afford, why can't they do a real luxury car the way they did 40 and 50 years ago. I'm not saying Chrysler, given her past 15 years of hardship and gutting by others, is not capable of being a luxury car or competing with the luxury models, but I am saying there has to be a reinvention, a resurrection of the glory days, something remembered by our parents and grandparents, in order to get rid of the bad reputation Chrysler has garnered over the past 15 years. Some good, some bad, but not luxury. Luxurious is different than luxury, time to tune, shape, and build a luxury model to compete with those BMWs, Cadillacs, Lincolns, L/A/I and Jags (etc), and show them how Imperial can do it with class, and let the world know besides word of mouth.

·
Registered
243 Posts
vipermoon64 said:
I think you are thinking of it wrong. To be called a luxury brand all of your cars don't have to be super expensive. The 3 series can be called a luxury car not because of its status but because they are well built, comfortable, have a great amount of features, etc. And I know some will mention the fact that the features standard on the 3 series aren't much. But remember, the 3 series starts at about 35k and the features it does have standard and available are top of the line in quality of.

And Cadillac XTS? I've driven that car, my uncle has one, and I read the Caranddriver review. It has a lot of features and it is comfortable from a floating standpoint and the steering is so light I think I could have steered with my tongue. But that is not a "luxury" car it's just an FWD, expensive, feature filled car...at least not my idea of a luxury car.

Disclaimer: this is all I.M.O
The way I see it it's neither about features nor about being well built (btw I owned both audis and bmws and their reliability was not so good, I think people mix up "well engineered" with "well built" ).

In my opinion if you make a car, price it significantly higher than other similar cars and, most importantly, you manage to sell it in good numbers...there you have a luxury brand.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Even if Chrysler made a new Imperial able to best the cars of the "true luxury brands, they would still be a full line auto manufacturer. It is mostly semantics; in order to be a "luxury" car maker, you can't make the cheap stuff; you can only make the big expensive luxurious stuff. That being said, the new small cheap cars being made by Aston, Benz, BMW, et al, are nowhere near luxury status. I mean, you can turn a Toyota Aygo into a luxurious Toyota Aygo, and sell it as your own, but underneath it is still a Toyota, and NOT a luxury car. So if you wanna think about it, the "true luxury" brands shouldn't be called luxury brands anymore. Or maybe they (the press) now say as long as most of your revenue is from luxury, then that is what you are.

I give very little credit to "lists" like this. They have to put SOMETHING up to get views so they can sell ad space.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts