Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a rebuilt 2.5 liter overhead cam engine in my 95 Dakota.. When I was filling it with oil I noticed that oil was running down the bellhousing and dripping on the floor. from the back of the head. I looked at the old engine and noticed that there was a bolt with a large washer installed in the back of the head. I installed that bolt on the new engine and it seemed to take care of the leak. What is the purpose of the bolt and should I have used a sealant on it? I drove the truck today and I may have a leak in that same area. I am going to clean it off tomorrow and see if it is leaking. It is a real pain to get to and I am hoping that it is not leaking..

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Might be an oil supply location for turbo oil feed. That's my guess.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
It's not oil to or from the turbo, but yes, there is a bolt there that will leak oil if left out. It should have a sealant applied to the bolt before installing.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Was there any kind of bracket for an accessory that was there at some point and it is simply not a blind bottoming out hole to prevent the bolt from tightening down properly? Just kind of strange to have it there if for no reason.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I think it is the bolt that holds the turbo's oil feed like to the head, but it doesn't carry that oil; however, it will leak it if removed. Bob O'Neill will know for sure. My TBI has just the bolt there.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I guess it's time to go knock some more skin off my knuckles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts