Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble determining the size of the bolts needed to attach the battery tray to the frame and for the battery hold down clamp. Not sure if metric or SAE. My 1992 Chrysler New Yorker is missing these bolts (I have one of two required for tray to frame attachment). The tray attachment seems to be 5/16" dia (or metric) but standard bolts do not thread, the battery hold down bolt seems to be 3/8" (or metric) but standard thread size is a mismatch

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
21,841 Posts
They are metric. Try an 8 mm? Thread pitch should be 1.25 or 1.5?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I believe it's probably similar yo my K-car, M8X1.25 bolts, but on mine the one through the bottom "tab" has a very large washer head with a pointed tip to the bolt. The other two bolts have smaller washer heads. My hold down for the battery is an M8X1.25 carriage bolt that goes through a metal bracket, thought the plastic tray and is captured with a push on retainer. The bracket is also the rear battery tray support. I don't have a larger bolt on mine, but the next size Chrysler used was an M10X1.5 thread.

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks go to 85lebaront2 for the correct answer. I thought the battery hold down bolt was a larger diameter bolt (because of the larger size hole in the battery tray) than the two bolts attaching the tray to brackets in the engine compartment. After many trips to the local screw/bolt parts store (Tacoma Screw Products in Tacoma WA) and to local hardware stores (Lowes and Home Depot), I finally came up with all three bolts are M8 - 1.25 x 30mm long (metric), maybe 35 mm length would also work but longer bolts are only partially threaded so the bolt seizes up before it is fully tightened, so 30 MM is probably max. because it is fully threaded on the shank. The best bolt is the so-called flange bolt which has a "built-in" washer attached under the hex head. I got a new battery too - Interstate size 34 (from Costco). Problem solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts