Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pSun said:
Hello,

Yesterday during the 1st 20 mi nutes of driving the boost gage. On the 87 Shelby Z was not moving as it normally would. It would jump and hop, not smooth or consistant; it would even seem to be freezing in position on occation.

Oddly, after approximately 30 minutes it began working as I have been accustom to.

This morn ing, for the first 25-30 minutes of driving, it did virtuAlly nothing. If I taped the gage it may move a bit or it may not; then it mysteriously started behaving normal again.

If anyone has experienced this before or simply knows what is happening, please share. When it first happened, I freaked because I thought the Garret was the fault, I rmeain uncertain but am hoping for the best.
Hello,

Yesterday during the 1st 20 mi nutes of driving the boost gage. On the 87 Shelby Z was not moving as it normally would. It would jump and hop, not smooth or consistant; it would even seem to be freezing in position on occation.

Oddly, after approximately 30 minutes it began working as I have been accustom to.

This morn ing, for the first 25-30 minutes of driving, it did virtuAlly nothing. If I taped the gage it may move a bit or it may not; then it mysteriously started behaving normal again.

If anyone has experienced this before or simply knows what is happening, please share. When it first happened, I freaked because I thought the Garret was the fault, I rmeain uncertain but am hoping for the best.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Moisture or ice in the vacuum tubing can cause this.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks Bob. I will go through the vacuum lines, maybe there is an issue to be isolated. In other words...IN DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A turbo issue? But rather a vacuum issue?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Very likely, if you hear the turbo spool up fine, it's the gauge that's inaccurate. Mine jumped once briefly in cold weather. If the problem goes away as warmer weather comes, it was water/ice in the vacuum line.

You'd be amaze what a little moisture can do. Today's air brake have automatic moisture ejectors, but in the old days, you had to bleed out the moisture, or add alcohol to the lines. Once about 5 a.m., our fire engine was backing in the station in winter, and a tiny bit of ice formed in the brake line. The brakes suddenly seized and would not let go. They had to rev the motor and smoke the brake and clutch to get the truck inside where it could thaw.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts