Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

I have a '97 Grand Cherokee with no brake lights and am looking for some advice. I have checked the fuse / good. - tested the brake lamp switch / good - I have 2.9 volts at two of the pins in the connector that is located inside the left rear interior pannel at the LH tail lamp. There are no indicator lit up on the VIC. I can lite both tail lamps with my power probe. It seems to be a problem on the ground side if I had to guess. Does the VIC or any other module have anything to do with this problem ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Thanks !
Wayne

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You should be looking at ~12V at the taillights. The EVIC measures resistance across the bulbs to determine outage- a blown bulb will have infinite resistance. A 12V bulb will not light on that low of a voltage, but since the resistance is not infinite, the EVIC won't pick it up. I would look for a corroded ground, the ground is through the body, and since you're looking at a dissimilar metal connection, there's corrosion potential in addition to the rust potential the steel body has.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wayne,

Did you ever locate the problem? Just this past weekend another driver informed me that I had no break lights. I checked the fuse - it was all right. I replaced three bulbs in the center (third eye) lighting center, all the others were all right. Tried again and no luck. I had a six hundred mile trip and finally used the turning on and off of my headlamps to use the tail lights for break lights. Not a happy camper.

WLM

·
Super Moderator
36,935 Posts
On a car where the brake and turn signal share a fuse, the brake light signal goes through the turn signal switch. I've had them fail and knock out one side or the other. In that case, the center brake light would not be affected. if none of them work, you need to start at the switch at the brake pedal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts