Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:flashred:Shortly after purchasing my vehicle in late Decenber, 2011, I noticed that the brakes made a terrible screeching noise when I started out to drive anywhere. I took it to the local Dealer, Richmond Chrysler, who claimed they could find nothing wrong. The noise continued. I took it back once again, and the "told me" that they had taken off the wheels, checked the disk brakes and everything was fine. they also told me that " THEY HAD DONE ALL THAT THEY COULD DO, AND IF THE NOISE CONTINUED, I WOULD JUST HAVE TO PUT UP WITH IT"!!!!!!! Just have to put up with a screeching noise loud enough to make people look around and see what kind of piece of junk I am driving. I have called the salesperson THREE TIMES in the last 5 days, and he always says he will arrange a meeting with the sales manager and get back to me so that this problem can be solved. I still only have less than 2000 miles on the danged thing, and am really discouraged and enraged by the treatment I am receiving.

I guess that besides venting my spleen, I am wondering if anyone else has had difficulties with the brakes in a Journey, and what, if anything was done to solve the problem??

I would love to hear from anyone who has had similar problems.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
Call Chrysler's Customer Assistance number and open a case number - 1-800-247-9753.

As far as brake issues, yes, I have had my fair share of problems. We bought a 2009 Journey SXT in March 2008. By 22K miles the front pads were worn out and I had to have them serviced. About a year later, I kept reading of recalls on the Caravans/T&C's which have the same brake set up. I contacted Chrysler and eventually they reimbursed me in full for the brake repair.

Our current 2010 Journey has 43K and is due for front brake service - barely passed state safety inspection. I sincerely doubt they are the original pads. We bought the 2010 last year (used) after our 2009 suffered a CAN C bus failure (Cabin Area Network) and we ended up trading it in for the 2010.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I will refrain from getting too heated on this subject, however the brakes on Journeys have issues, many issues.

As Doug said, get in touch with Chrysler and if that does not help you can file an arbitration case, I am sure that will get their attention.

On another note, I just wonder where Chrysler went wrong on the brakes with the Journey? I love just about everything about my Journey, but having to replace brakes so often can really sour a person....

With all crap I have endured with this Journey, I still love Ma Mopar and will always buy Mopar(for me at least, wife has a much diffrent view)

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
A brake noise when first starting out after sitting outside on damp or dewy overnights may be considered normal. There is nothing they can do for this. It is from light surface rust on the rotors that usually rubs off on the first stop or two.
If the noise is heard at other times, that may need attention. Try to detrmine if it is from the front or the rear by listening out the window.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
On another note, I just wonder where Chrysler went wrong on the brakes with the Journey? I love just about everything about my Journey, but having to replace brakes so often can really sour a person....
A very good question. I'm beginning to think they are too small for the work they are expected to do. Haven't been able to confirm that. Like I posted the front pads on our '09 were replaced at 22K. After that I noticed a significant decrease in brake dust on the front wheels. So I'm pretty sure there was a change in the pads from the originals. Those pads had 25K miles on them and were working fine though I don't really know if they were wearing well or not. 43K on our '10 but I'm not so sure they are the original pads - I'd bet they aren't.

The service writer at Firestone said the average mileage on the Journey's he's serviced has been about 15K.

On a related note we had brake issues with our '00 T&C Ltd. Bought the van with 78K on it and for a while it seemed like I was only getting 25K out of the front pads. However, the last set (serviced at Firestone) had ~40K on them when I traded it in, but I don't remember what pads the shop installed. Then again, the T&C weighed in at a hefty 4,340 lbs (empty).

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
A very good question. I'm beginning to think they are too small for the work they are expected to do. Haven't been able to confirm that. Like I posted the front pads on our '09 were replaced at 22K. After that I noticed a significant decrease in brake dust on the front wheels. So I'm pretty sure there was a change in the pads from the originals. Those pads had 25K miles on them and were working fine though I don't really know if they were wearing well or not. 43K on our '10 but I'm not so sure they are the original pads - I'd bet they aren't.

The service writer at Firestone said the average mileage on the Journey's he's serviced has been about 15K.

On a related note we had brake issues with our '00 T&C Ltd. Bought the van with 78K on it and for a while it seemed like I was only getting 25K out of the front pads. However, the last set (serviced at Firestone) had ~40K on them when I traded it in, but I don't remember what pads the shop installed. Then again, the T&C weighed in at a hefty 4,340 lbs (empty).
This could be the main issue, however the brake performance is great! Mine will stop on a dime!

When you mentioned your old T&C, I had forgotten about my moms 2000 and it did seem to wear front brakes rather quickly, but it is a conversion van with a lowered floor and wheel chair ramp, so back end is sticking up in the air, so front brakes do all the work...

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is nothing Chrylser is going to with calling them. They can't make the dealer do anything to fix the car. If the brakes are just noisey and stop and are functioning perfectly there is nothing opening an arbitration case will do either.
Chrysler will not buy a car back or give you trade assistance for a noise.

If the noise is only after the vehicle has sat for some time then goes away that is normal due to surface rust forming on the rotors. Only thing you could try is replacing the rotors on the thing. There was only 1 year where the Journey's and MiniVans had terrible brake wear issues and Chrysler issued a Customer Satisfaction campaign on those vehicle affected. Diamler tried to install European brake pads and rotors on these vehicles and the pads and rotors were too soft for North American stop and go driving and they wore pads prematurely.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Sadly, it does indeed appear that the brake issues for the Journey continue on into at least the 2011 models (and probably later). I just had to replace all the rear rotors/pads because at 30K kms, a sticking caliper was causing VERY loud squeaking after driving a few kms. (Repair not under warranty.) A quick search on the internet brought up a lot of other instances of people reporting the same problem so I'm not alone. And now, right after this, I get a very noticeable steering wheel shake on braking from highway speed.

It's all pretty discouraging.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sorry to hear of this, when you do replace the rotors make sure they are some of the best. It may cost more but its well worth the money.

I put Raybestos rotors and pads on the rear of my Journey and they are far better then anything the dealer/factory had put on and thus far seem to be holding up well.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Well, now the front brakes are shot on my Journey. Argh. At least in my personal experience, the vehicle drives very nicely when it's working, but I really just couldn't recommend it to anyone.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Is/was it covered under the extended front brake warranty? The newer linings are more 'rotor friendly' and hopefully also have improved longevity.
It is difficult to strike a balance in lining composition and compromises can lead to quality problems. Too soft wear quickly, but generally stop better and are quiet. Too hard last longer than the rotors, less dust but are prone to squeal. Originally this was a vendor process quality issue, but it should have been resolved quicker than 3 model years time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have a 2012 Journey since November 2011 - its been a great vehicle. Noticed recently a vibration in the brakes at highway speeds. They have always squeaked at very low speed or backing up. Journey has 12000 miles on the clock.

Took Journey to dealer to resolve the vibration at high speed braking and complained for a second time about squeaking brakes. They tell me the rotors need to be turned to resolve the vibration - $355. Seriously? They say the squeaking is normal. This is ridiculous... awaiting a callback from the service manager.

I really like the car but brake rotors at 12k miles?? I have never had this happen on any vehicle I have ever owned (and there have been many over the years). They say this is not a warranty item for the 2012 model. Has anyone installed aftermarket rotors they could recommend?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
$355? Find another dealer. He's a ripoff waiting to happen. I've had two Journey's (2009 & 2010) and neither one needed rotors at all though they both needed pads earlier than what I call "normal". The 2009 had the pads replaced, rotor turned at 22K miles - Chrysler eventually reimbursed me the total cost ($225). I just had the front pads replaced, rotor turned on the 2010 Journey we now have (long story) at 48K miles. I suspect, through, that these were not the original pads. Shop used Wagner Thermoquiets (lifetime warranty) so we shall see how they wear. Oh and I only paid ~$100 for this latest service at Firestone - had a coupon. Normally a $165 service.

As far as aftermarket, I'd go with Wagner or Raybestos. Try to get "Made in the USA" if you can, but almost all of them are going to Chinese manufacturers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, they came back with a new offer, they'll replace the rotors for a $100 deductable as stated by Chrysler. Apparently Chrysler has a TSB out for the 2009/2010 Journey's that extend the warranty but impose a deductable after 12,000 miles (I have 12,074). It appears they may be applying that TSB to this case? Who knows?

I'm not happy about the $100 and I'm not happy that I have to be doing this at 12K anyway - but its better than $355. Chrysler will hear more about this.

Thanks for the Wagner / Raybestos tip - I'll check into it.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
It's a little more than a TSB - it's an extension of the brake warranty (normally brake components are only warranted for 12K miles on a new car).

You can join the line of Journey owners that have experienced brake issues. I would have thought it would have been solved by the 2012 model year. I could understand the first model year, but not the subsequent years. FWIW - the T&C/GC have the same brake issues - it's basically the same brake setup - in fact the brake warranty was initally extended on the minivans and then to the Journey's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure its officially extended to the 2012 journey - but they comped me as "goodwill" and replaced the rotors - charged me $100 for the "goodwill". Since its a repair, I have a new 12,000 miles or 12 months warranty on the new discs so you can bet I'll be watching their performance.

I had a 1997 Grand Caravan and I still have a 2004 Grand Caravan - both have been great vehicles. I follow the threads on them and I can almost predict what would happen next. The threads have been great and I have resolved most problems on my own. Its funny how accurate these threads are in predicting issues. I had 137,000 on the 1997 when I traded it and I currently have 121,000 on the 2004 and its running fantastic. We got the Journey simply for something smaller and the comfort of something newer on a regular 2000 trip to deep south and back - never would I have thought I'd be playing with brakes at 12,000 miles... most of which were highway thus no braking! Neither of the previous mini-vans had any brake issues - I think my first brake pads on the 2004 was somewhere around 45,000 miles and I didn't change the rotors until 98,000.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
My 2000 T&C Ltd AWD had brake issues to a dgree. It was chewing through brakes every 25K-30K miles, Finally found a that lasted longer though it was the pads from Firestone so I was not sure what they actually used. Those pads had 40K at the time we traded it in for our first Journey.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I second the use of Raybestos, I too have so many issues with my brakes on my Journey. First time for the rear brakes was at 3600 miles!

I just recently replaced the rear rotors and pads with Raybestos and thus far they have been very good, a bit squeaky from time to time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts