Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Allpar!

New user here who will be starting the process of restoring a really nice 66 Valiant. While I am not taking delivery until next week, I would like to go out and get some parts to be ready.

It is leaking brake fluid from the rear hoses and wheel cylinders, so before I replace all of the brake lines, I was going to start with just the hoses, to the wheel and just replace everything, even the hardware and drums.

With that said, anyone know what the brake size is for the rears of a 66 Valiant? Original shop manual just says 9 OR 10 inch breaks, but this shop manual was for all Plymouth vehicles from 66.

Auto parts stores give me results for both 9 and 10 inch breaks when I search so... No help there.

Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. 'Most' low-line (V100) Valiants and Dart sedans had the 9" brakes. The high-line sedans (V200) and all wagons had the 10" brakes.
Really, unless the current owner can tell you the brake size for sure, you will have to pull a drum to measure the ID when you get the car.
The 9" and 10" w/cyls are different, as are the frt and rear w/cyls from each-other.
The spring/retainer hardware kits are different between 9" and 10".
Prepare for the arrival of the car in other ways for now, if you can.

·
Super Moderator
36,923 Posts
I’ve always read 9” for slant 6 and 10” for V8 on these years of Valiant. I’d wait to see what’s there before getting parts.

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Like they said.

·
KOG
6,999 Posts
Too small is what size they are. I've had several of the early models. I never saw anything but 9" on them but didn't have V8. They continued to use the 9" until 73 which got finned 10" on the front or discs as an option. You can swap the later brakes onto yours, but it's not completely simple.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Too small is what size they are. I've had several of the early models. I never saw anything but 9" on them but didn't have V8. They continued to use the 9" until 73 which got finned 10" on the front or discs as an option. You can swap the later brakes onto yours, but it's not completely simple.
you can leave the 9 inch drums on the rear and do a front disc brake conversion which is simple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts