Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife came in this morning and announce her Compass wouldn't come out of park. I remember hearing the click of the release when the brake pedal is depressed. It's been replaced already, and they insisted on doing the clock spring in the steering column at the same time.

Is the clock spring really necessary? I can do a brake switch. :runaway:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It turns out the problem "miraculously" cured itself. Herself said in the evening: "I'm going to try it again.", it worked, and she's been driving it since. (!!???!!?!?!) I do hate intermittent problems. At least those that might reoccur at an inopportune time.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
Make her aware that there is an emergency Park latch release in the side of the shifter console so that no one gets stranded if it does occur again.
Park override details should be in the owners manual.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Make sure the lubricant hasn't all gotten wiped off the plunger in the switch itself. That sometimes happens in hot weather. Just a touch of white lithium grease should do if you can't move the existing grease around with a finger tip. Sometimes the plunger will push out far enough to activate the brake light contacts but not the transmission lock-out contacts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts