Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all. Man, I was doing that power steering job and to get the pump in I unhooked that skinny little brake line that goes into the line that goes to the calipers or piston or wherever. Its right there to the right of the rotors up above a little bit. I can explain exactly which brake line it is if i need to, no problem. Anyway, after i got the line out of the way I got the pump in and hooked the little skinny line back up to the other skinny line. Well, I have power steering now but absolutely zero brakes. Its like they dont even build up when you push the pedal. Straight to the floor and I filled master, bled the side I took the line apart at and still no change. And, the e-brake is acting like its really weak now but I dont know if that was already like that or what because I never use it so cant remember it being like that if it was. I dont understand. I've had brake problems in the past. They would at least build up when I pushed pedal a few times. Never this. What did I do? Man this is not good. the money I saved on the power steering pump replacement looks like I may be using on a brake job?? I dont even think it will drive like other times I've had brake issues. Theres nothing. It goes straight to floor yet has fluid and bleeding the one side I unhooked the line at didn't even begin to change nothing yet. Hope I explained enough to understand the situation and hope someone has had this issue before or knows whats going on. Thanks a lotttt!

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
How much brake fluid leaked out? If this is ABS, the HCU (hydraulic control unit) mounted on the right side crossmember may have partially emptied and will need bleeding. Are the red 'BRAKE' and yellow 'ABS' warning lights on? Make sure that there are no leaks and try bleeding with a helper.
The only thing that would have changed from installing the P/S pump would have been the opening of the system and letting air in?
Bleeding the HCU can be tricky and there is an option on the DRB scan tool for bleeding the HCU, it electrically turns on the pump, but the bleed can be done manually. You will have to bleed all 4 brakes if the HCU emptied.
Discussion here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2012292
The rear parking brakes are completely separate from the regular hydraulic brakes. The only thing that would affect both would be the rear shoe adjustment or wear. They can be adjusted up closer to the drum/rotor with the star wheel through an access slot in the backing plate until the shoes just start to drag.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I understand. So the parking brake has nothing to do with any of this. Yea, the red brake and yellow abs lights came on. I just looked all over pretty good and theres no leaking going on. Yes, the only thing changed from installing p/s pump was that I opened that line. That line goes to a black short about 12inch line that goes straight into the piston right below it. Man, after I got the power steering pump bled I did drive a mile. I forgot I unhooked it and while i test drove for the steering pump the red "brake" light was on but I just thought I mustve been low on fluid. But when I got back from test drive, I remembered I had unhooked that line. You want me to bleed with 2nd person? I just bled other side(drivers) and there was no air bubbles in the fluid going through that clear tube that goes to the little bottle that I use to "one man" bleed brakes. There was no air bubbles after bleeding pass side. But when I bled the drivers side just now the master didnt drop fluid at all. I usually have to keep putting fluid in master while I pump brakes during the one man bleeding. I hope I can figure this out. Theyre going straight to floor with no pressure building up at all.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
General rule, whenever you open the brake system, you have to bleed the ABS unit if equipped, and then all 4 wheels, in order of furthest to nearest to the master cylinder.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh. I understand. Back to front then in my case. I stopped today on it and started gluing down a top. I found some urethane from a glass guy. Anyway, I'll start with the bleeding again 1st thing in morn. I hope this works. I have a 2nd person coming to help me bleed them. I will let ya know when finished and thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did it. Did what y'all described and it worked just fine. 1st we bled ABS unit. That went good. Then started at the rear pass side. Went from there to rear drivers then passenger front and lastly the drivers front. Brakes are perfect now! I was worried I did something bad because they were just not bleeding for nothing when I was doing it alone. But, when I got 2nd guy they bled great, just took a while because there was lottttt of air in lines. Did all bleeding with car off, never starting engine till I was finished. I threw that in because someone told me a long time ago that you cant bleed brakes with engine off. Well, Im assuming that isnt exactly accurate. But anyway, it all worked out great bleeding abs first then starting at rear passenger and ending at front drivers side. Thanks AGAIN for the guidance. Got power steering now AND pwr brakes. Next post will prob be asking about the top's motor. Then the rest of the car needs lot more work but one step at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts