Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced my booster on the car. brakes are real touchy, good and real easy. but had to jam on them today and seemed that they didnt want to release. checked the fluid, ok, didnt pull the wheels yet. just looking for some advice to start looking. wheel cylinders maybe? any help would be great....thanks guys.....troy

the car is a 65 fury 3, with the 383. power brakes

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
It could well be the drums all around need to be checked for adjustment. If they were loose to begin with and you jammed the brakes on hard, they may have bound up. The other thing may be the wheel cylinders themselves. Over time there is an amount of rust and corrosion/pitting that occurs in the old cast iron wheel cylinders and even if the brakes were bled, the junk in the lines can shift and cause a binding. The other thing to look at is the soft brake lines themselves. Over time one of the inner lines can develop a crack so that when you hit the brakes, fluid builds up between the two linings and when you let off the brakes the pressure will work like a one way valve and block a cylinder from backing off properly. There are three soft lines, one on each front wheel and one to the rear axle to body for suspension travel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've seen this more than my fair share of times, usually a wheel cylander or caliper is at fault. I'd check these 1st. Often times when they start getting sticky you may apply the brakes and they wont let off until you turn the car off for 10 - 15 min.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Have you had to add fluid? If shoes get wet from a leaking cylinder, it can grab. Do a 4-wheel brake inspection.
If you still have the one-shot master cylinder, you don't want to take chances with the brakes.
Wheel cylinders are inexpensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts