Allpar Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Got parts?
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The after-market Depo headlight lenses look like they were put on my truck ('99 Dodge 1500) shortly before I bought it, as they were clear enough to be almost new. But the one on the driver's side couldn't be adjusted up because of a production flaw, which didn't allow a good enough night-time look at that side of the road. So I replaced it with an original equipment one from a Michigan junkyard. The lens isn't as clear, but PlastX improved it. It can't be adjusted up or down either, because that screw is rusted (spraying it with lubricant so far hasn't worked). However, it's aimed high enough that it illuminates farther ahead than what it replaced. The passenger side lens must have been aimed higher to compensate for the previous one, because I had to adjust it down to make it even with the driver's side. Now, both can see an acceptable distance ahead at night.

But when I click the brights on, they show the trees on either side of the road better than the road itself. It does light the road further ahead, but not as brightly. I don't want to adjust the passenger side further down without being able to adjust the driver's side, so for now, I'm not using the brights.

It seems to me that the sealed-beam 4-headlight system, introduced for the 1957 model year and lasting well into the 1980's, is a better design that the subsequent single bulbs behind plastic lenses, as the main headlights can be adjusted separately from the brights. Glass headlights didn't fog like plastic lenses commonly do. And whether round or rectangular, just one application each fit main headlights and brights on every vehicle with 4 headlights, not various designs for different vehicles, some of which will stop being stocked when a model is considered too old.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts