Allpar Forums banner

Broken Rocker Arm How long can I drive before causing significant damage to the Cam shaft

75088 Views 28 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  TaxiGirl
This is the second time that this has happened. Last time, i had a mechanic replace #3 and #5 rocker arms ($500). and later when the familiar tick came back I used MMO and no longer had a problem. Now, the tick is back with a vengence. I was trying to hold out until this Thursday. I have a loss of compression as well when accelerating. And I still have a high pitch or medium high pitched gurgling sound when accelerating also.

Btw i changed my oil yesterday, when mechanic opens the head, does he have drain oil out to replace rocker arms?

2011 dodge grand caravan 3.6 Pentastar
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,098 Posts
These rockers look to be the same design as used in prior Engines going back to the 1988 2.2/2.5.

I guess they reached the limit of "lightness" as I haven't really heard of rocker failures in even 2.7's.

Any chance you just need rockers or are the cams tore up as well??

Best of luck TaxiGirl!!

Thanks
Randy

· Registered
2,098 Posts
If an oil additive made any difference I would be thinking possible lash adjuster issues??

Basically they are "hydraulic lifters" that support the rockers.

As they are hydraulic, occasionally oil additives, or even different oil can quiet them up.

Oil additive wouldn't quiet a broken rocker if you get my drift.

Not criticizing, only sharing my thoughts.

I haven't any 3.6 experience yet but have an early production one and like to follow 3.6 issues.

Thanks
Randy

· Registered
2,098 Posts
According to the video chuckt posted broken rockers are common.

The cams in the Engine in the video look fine, possibly the 3.6 rockers have a shorter life span than prior units.

Thanks
Randy

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Now I see there is a StarCase on this issue: STAR Case bulletin, S1309000016

CAMSHAFT/FOLLOWER REPLACEMENT | Mopar Magazine (at https://www.moparmagazine.com/2016/06/camshaftfollower-replacement/ )

Appears to cover rockers and possibly lash adjusters.

I'm curious if the replacement parts are better??

I see they only replaced the collapsed lash adjusters.

Melling JB7525 Lash adjuster : $5.99 Melling JB-7525 Engine Lifter for 11-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3.6L Engine (at https://www.quadratec.com/products/51001_0208.htm )

Melling MR1332 Rocker: $7.99 Melling MR-1332 Rocker Arm for 11-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 3.6L Engine (at https://www.quadratec.com/products/51103_0225.htm )

Thanks
Randy

· Registered
2,098 Posts
DOHC V6 Engines are not for the inexperienced when it comes to anything related to the timing chains.

Swapping rockers and lash adjusters would have a reasonable chance of success.

Keep us up to date!!

Good luck!!

Thanks
Randy

· Registered
2,098 Posts
While I have no personal experience with the 3.6, I would try to swap rockers without loosening the cams.

Here is a picture of a spring compressor used on older Engines just for this purpose.

Might have to buy or make something for the 3.6

Thanks
Randy

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Here is a video on timing the cams on a Pentastar, this one clean and not in a vehicle.

I have no idea on your skills but this is very involved and there is no allowable error.

Starting, or attempting to start, an Engine with incorrect cam timing can result in severe damage.

Rockers on the other hand not so complicated.

The tool I showed is like the one I have used when changing rockers/lash adjusters on many OHC Engines.

The "hook" grabs the cam and the other end compresses the valve spring enough to R&R the rockers.

Pressure must be exerted on the red handle to apply the force needed to compress each spring.

Thanks
Randy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.