787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
796 Posts
2021 and they can't even guarantee safe brakes?

·
Super Moderator
39,079 Posts
2021 and they can't even guarantee safe brakes?
It’s an unusual situation of stopping when there is no power assist, so give brakes work fine in normal driving.
Ford has their problems. But they are fixing them. FCA had a bad reputation of not having parts even after issuing recalls.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
796 Posts
It’s an unusual situation of stopping when there is no power assist, so give brakes work fine in normal driving.
Ford has their problems. But they are fixing them. FCA had a bad reputation of not having parts even after issuing recalls.
Yeah not having the parts after the recall is even worse. The car just sits then.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,491 Posts
This is not something Ford did. NHTSA found this and since it was out of Federal safety regulations. There was NO CHOICE on this.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I am confused on the design of this system. Are only parking brake shoes involved in stopping when there is no boost? My car can almost coast to a stop in that distance (ok, maybe not). It seems the system is designed to ignore pedal pressure as if the brakes are fully electric (brake by wire?) and the parking brake is the only backup.

That 550 feet is an acceptable stopping distance without boost is beyond belief. How is this safe? I would expect it to be a longer stopping distance, maybe 100 feet or so, not 450 feet in this case.

I would probably dump in my drawers if I stood on the brakes and it took 2 football fields to stop.

·
Super Moderator
39,079 Posts
This is not something Ford did. NHTSA found this and since it was out of Federal safety regulations. There was NO CHOICE on this.
There was no choice for FCA to fix power window switches on minivans or pinion nuts on Rams among other recalls, but FCA kept building new cars while owners waited on parts. FCA was fined by NHTSA for poor recall performance in 2015.
I’ve seen no widespread reports of Ford failing to fix recalled vehicles like FCA did.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not a big deal guys unless it happens to you the booster is a big thing on effort nhtsa has effeet requirement on all assisted features steering and brakes I tried to eliminate the failure prone booster valve but beancounters ovrrrulled me. 70 pounds of foot pressure is mvss limit and 70 pounds tangential effort at steering wheel on power steering...FYI.

Best as always , Bob

·
Jeepaholic
6,413 Posts
Meh, who cares about brakes as long as the accelerator still works! Forward! Advance! Attack! Attack! Attack!

Ok, so maybe I’m gonna go lie down for a bit…..:LOL:

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,491 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,491 Posts
Sadly, there has always been votes for the bottom line over what is the upper road.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,491 Posts
I am confused on the design of this system. Are only parking brake shoes involved in stopping when there is no boost? My car can almost coast to a stop in that distance (ok, maybe not). It seems the system is designed to ignore pedal pressure as if the brakes are fully electric (brake by wire?) and the parking brake is the only backup.

That 550 feet is an acceptable stopping distance without boost is beyond belief. How is this safe? I would expect it to be a longer stopping distance, maybe 100 feet or so, not 450 feet in this case.

I would probably dump in my drawers if I stood on the brakes and it took 2 football fields to stop.
I cannot accept a 500 foot stop without a booster. I took a 69 Polara to have it licensed that had a 440 w/Indy heads and really big headers that required the removal of the power brake boost. One of the inspection items was an on-street brake test of stopping distance. I passed it with 30% left in the stop zone. Master cylinder was original size.

·
Banned
15,295 Posts
Meh, who cares about brakes as long as the accelerator still works! Forward! Advance! Attack! Attack! Attack!

Ok, so maybe I’m gonna go lie down for a bit…..:LOL:
Dodge's slogan is "Never Lift"

·
Super Moderator
39,079 Posts
Dodge's slogan is "Never Lift"
I thought "Never Lift" was the motto of the Jeep service advisor after seeing people post on the Wrangler and Gladiator forums being denied warranty service on their lifted Jeep since it was modified - on Jeeps they bought new from that same dealer who had installed the Mopar lift.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts