Allpar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have own a 2005 Turbo Limit Edition PT Cruiser, it is my work car, but I love it. Lately I took it for an oil change and was told that I need to replace the valve cover gasket. I will be getting that done in the next few days. I noticed that when I get turn the vehicle off I hear bubbling from engine coolant by the over flow tank. It does not over heat at all, but thinking I may have a head gasket issue. Has anyone else had this issue, if so what was your diagnoses. HELP!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
38,906 Posts
Bubbling means air is getting into the cooling system. It could be from the head gasket, but also from anywhere else in the system, like a hose with a pinhole or a weak clamp on it, a bad radiator cap, etc.

Best thing to do is to get a cooling system pressure check done on it including the cap, either by a shop or buying/renting/borrowing the pressure testing tool.

·
Premium Member
20,265 Posts
Yeah, possible head gasket pushing compressed cylinder air/fuel from the cylinder to the water jacket, but still sealing well enough not to allow fluid to enter the cylinders. Start by, with the engine cooled down, remove the radiator cap and starting the car, watch the fluid and see what happens, a steady bubble with a few seconds between burps would indicate head gasket. It may just be low fluid in the radiator itself and the radiator pressure cap is "burping" when shut down. I had this happen with mine a few years back, radiator cap itself was replaced, fluid topped off, and that was 50,000 miles ago and no head gasket problem, so diagnosis is important to prevent throwing money at her when not needed.

Reactions: Demario Woods

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,718 Posts
A coolant sample can be checked with a chemical CO2 detector. CO2 is a byproduct of combustion. If CO2 is found, it would likely be a head gasket combustion chamber-to-water jacket leak.
If CO2 is not detected, it could be an air leak into the suction side of the water pump (lower radiator hose side). Always diagnose first.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZnc4jEuKgc

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
. . .Best thing to do is to get a cooling system pressure check done on it including the cap, either by a shop or buying/renting/borrowing the pressure testing tool. . . .
It is possible for a radiator cap to not hold pressure at the upper pressure range such as 13, 14, or 15 psi. At lower pressures it will hold. Testing radiator cap for holding proper pressure is essential.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
My daughter's PT did the same. It was the radiator cap. Could also be the head gasket, but check the cheapest first! :D

Reactions: jerseyjoe

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Common issue with the PT Cruiser. A new radiator cap took care of mine. The pressure test is a good idea, though. You can even test the cap with one. Some have found a small crack or hole in the over flow hose running from the radiator filler neck to the overflow jug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your advise. So after reading some the replies, I ended up replacing the radiator cap and doing a flush of my coolant system. Added some new fluids and that fixed it. Took it out for a drive for about 30 minutes, came back home and shut it down and no bubbling at all. Thank you all for your expert advice, you really saved me a lot of money and frustration, I love my PT its my daily driver so it means a lot to me.

·
Premium Member
20,265 Posts
Sounds good. Over the next couple of days, when she is cool, check the radiator level at the radiator cap, just to make sure the overflow level isn't telling you one thing and the engine and radiator another. If she is full to the top of the radiator, good, if not, top it off and do it again, just to be safe. I have found my two PT Cruisers to be very efficient as far as self-burping air out of the system.

Reactions: Demario Woods
1 - 9 of 9 Posts