Allpar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,284 Posts
Did he have a shop in Martinsville? There was a shop with Arrington in the landscaping near the community college.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The last real Mopar racer from the days when the cars were still "sort of close" to stock.
I remember when he asked permission to use front suspension parts from one of the suppliers that built chassis' for most of the Cup teams. NASCAR refused and said since Mopar used torsion bars from the factory, that was what he had to use.
When the supply of original Mopar race engine blocks became almost impossible to find, Joey asked those of us in his fan club to scour our local wrecking yards for 340 blocks he could use to build race engines.
Several times during the season they would auction off things like worn tires, torn-up sheet metal, old fire suits, helmets, and blown engine parts. Sometimes when there was nothing to auction, they would pass the hat to raise enough money to buy one set of new tires, since most of his tires were worn donations from other teams. Buddy would always apologize for having to take it easy to save equipment, even when he had a car that could run with the big boys. Despite seldom having enough tires or money to rebuild his good engines, he often managed to finish 'teenth among the million-dollar teams. Those were the good days!
I sometimes wonder if my ebbing interest in Cup racing isn't due more to the changing dedication of people than to the changing rule book.
RIP Buddy!

·
Valued Member
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did he have a shop in Martinsville? There was a shop with Arrington in the landscaping near the community college.
At one time Joey was the official supplier of NASCAR truck engines for Dodge. We also did the majority of our engine development in Martinsville. He had a very large, modern facility there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I grew up 30 miles from Darlington. Grew up watching Buddy, G.C. Spencer, Neil Castles, James Hilton, H.B. Bailey, Wendell Scott and all those guys race. Too easy to root for the factory rides. These indies were the backbone of NASCAR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts