Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

"The Buick Electra concept vehicle made its global premiere in Shanghai. The all-electric crossover offers a sneak peek at Buick's vision for a new intelligent electric future."
https://www.netcarshow.com/buick/2020-electra_concept/

About time Buick used the perfect historical nameplate for an electric vehicle. No surprise this debuted in China. The Chinese love em some Buick. 馃嚚馃嚦

Registered
Well, Buick, like Chrysler, is trying to re-invent itself for modern times. I see this type of vehicle as a way forward for Chrysler, Buick, Lancia, obviously DS. As you may infer from my comment, I am all in favour of this route, especially for Chrysler, if done correctly. I do believe that Chrysler was once a very popular Chinese brand. Maybe this vehicle type could be a return to China of Chrysler Brand?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Wow... other than the side view, you can guess which cars they stole the styling from for every angle...
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. LOL
At least it looks good, big question is will the US get a version of this? The Chinese get better Buicks than the US does.
Well, Buick, like Chrysler, is trying to re-invent itself for modern times. I see this type of vehicle as a way forward for Chrysler, Buick, Lancia, obviously DS. As you may infer from my comment, I am all in favour of this route, especially for Chrysler, if done correctly. I do believe that Chrysler was once a very popular Chinese brand. Maybe this vehicle type could be a return to China of Chrysler Brand?
Chrysler needs to make a play for China.
Question is would the Chinese equate "status" like they do with Buick, with Chrysler?
Buick is considered a luxury brand in China.

Administrator
FCA was conservative when building in China - which made sense given their financial situation. Grand Commander was a China-only play, but they didn't go nuts trying to reinvent a brand or spending too much, because they really were running on minimal funds for their entire corporate lifespan. They were able to remake Alfa Romeo and Maserati, but... I think they made the same mistake as Chrysler in the late 1960s through Iacocca: trying to do too much with too little.

China can be a bit of a trap. Build your best there, and your technology gets stolen (though if you don't have excellent IT, that happens anyway). Build your lesser vehicles, and you don't get much of a reputation. And you're always beholden to the government and subject to its whims, not to mention currency manipulation (though they did conform to the agreement they had to raise their currency, two presidents ago, at least to a fairly large degree).

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
FCA was conservative when building in China - which made sense given their financial situation. Grand Commander was a China-only play, but they didn't go nuts trying to reinvent a brand or spending too much, because they really were running on minimal funds for their entire corporate lifespan. They were able to remake Alfa Romeo and Maserati, but... I think they made the same mistake as Chrysler in the late 1960s through Iacocca: trying to do too much with too little.

China can be a bit of a trap. Build your best there, and your technology gets stolen (though if you don't have excellent IT, that happens anyway). Build your lesser vehicles, and you don't get much of a reputation. And you're always beholden to the government and subject to its whims, not to mention currency manipulation (though they did conform to the agreement they had to raise their currency, two presidents ago, at least to a fairly large degree).
Other publications claim GM makes a killing in China, selling close to 1 million Buicks or more per year in China.
So even with China's theft and skulduggery, GM thinks it's worth the trouble to deal with the Chinese government.
The Chinese executives love luxury Minivans...Buick in China sells 4 versions of the GL8.

I think the Chrysler Pacifica could make a play for Buick China's minivan market share. Especially if "Stella" we're to release a uber-luxury limo version of the Pacifica that the Chinese executives crave.

Registered
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. LOL
At least it looks good, big question is will the US get a version of this? The Chinese get better Buicks than the US does.
Doubtful we get this. Looks like nothing people here would want or need from buick

Registered

FCA went in with the wrong brands in China. The only non Asian brands that sell well in China are German and American. FCA always overvalued the Italian brands and undervalued Chrysler and Dodge.

Registered
FCA went in with the wrong brands in China. The only non Asian brands that sell well in China are German and American. FCA always overvalued the Italian brands and undervalued Chrysler and Dodge.
What is it about hubris in the automotive sector? It almost killed the US auto industry, did the Europeans no favors in China. Seems like the only folks lacking in hubris, or have done a good job of recognizing it, are the Asians. Hopefully, Mr. T (Tavares)'s experience with Nissan is a good bromide against that in Stellantis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts