Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
6,958 Posts
Fewer dealerships is better in theory for them, increasing potentially sales for each remaining dealer. However, it makes it harder for the customer since they will have to travel farther to get to that dealership for service. From my own perspective, the farther I have to go for service, the less likely I am to purchase. Others may feel differently.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
That is the sole purpose of forcing dealers into EV for Buick. Trim the heard

butalmost all are Buick/Gmc dealerships. So what do you do

·
Registered
1986 LeBaron convertible, 2.2L T2 with A413. 1989 J convertible dash and console modified to fit.
1,282 Posts
Fewer dealerships is better in theory for them, increasing potentially sales for each remaining dealer. However, it makes it harder for the customer since they will have to travel farther to get to that dealership for service. From my own perspective, the farther I have to go for service, the less likely I am to purchase. Others may feel differently.
Very good point. Where I live we have one new car dealer relatively close by (9 miles up US13) Preston Ford, Nearest Buick/Chevrolet dealer is 43 miles away in Pocomoke City MD also Subaru and Toyota there. After that, it is Salisbury MD at 79 miles away, Or if I want to pay a $20 round trip, then there are a load of choices across the mouth of Chesapeake Bay. Beach Ford, 59 miles, Southern CDJR, 55 miles. Rick Hendrick Chevrolet 56 miles.

I would hate to have to "limp in" or have to pay a tow bill for those distances. I also am less inclined as Zagnut27 says to go browse vehicles or return for minor services like oil changes even if they are free.

Reactions: tlc and Zagnut27

·
Jeepaholic
6,958 Posts
Very good point. Where I live we have one new car dealer relatively close by (9 miles up US13) Preston Ford, Nearest Buick/Chevrolet dealer is 43 miles away in Pocomoke City MD also Subaru and Toyota there. After that, it is Salisbury MD at 79 miles away, Or if I want to pay a $20 round trip, then there are a load of choices across the mouth of Chesapeake Bay. Beach Ford, 59 miles, Southern CDJR, 55 miles. Rick Hendrick Chevrolet 56 miles.

I would hate to have to "limp in" or have to pay a tow bill for those distances. I also am less inclined as Zagnut27 says to go browse vehicles or return for minor services like oil changes even if they are free.
The dealers may offer a shuttle or pickup/dropoff of the vehicle, but when you live farther away, they are less inclined to offer those services to you, so you end up having to drive there anyway. And then you have to arrange for alternative transportation if you can't wait for the service to be completed. It ends up being a lot more trouble than its worth.

And this is coming from a current Buick owner, as my wife has an Encore. Our usual dealer is in Smyrna, De, which is about 20 minutes from us at least. There is a dealer in Elkton, Md, but their service isn't very good. If we had to go any further for service, we wouldn't be going at all.

For my wife's next purchase, she's narrowed it down to 2 choices...either a Lincoln, or a Porsche. She likes them, but they're also the most convenient dealers for us. She was at one point considering Mercedes and Land Rover, but the dealers are a PITA to get to, so it's not worth the added headaches.

From my own experiences, the vehicles are getting ever more expensive, but the level of service received hasn't kept pace by any means.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The dealers may offer a shuttle or pickup/dropoff of the vehicle, but when you live farther away, they are less inclined to offer those services to you, so you end up having to drive there anyway. And then you have to arrange for alternative transportation if you can't wait for the service to be completed. It ends up being a lot more trouble than its worth.

And this is coming from a current Buick owner, as my wife has an Encore. Our usual dealer is in Smyrna, De, which is about 20 minutes from us at least. There is a dealer in Elkton, Md, but their service isn't very good. If we had to go any further for service, we wouldn't be going at all.

For my wife's next purchase, she's narrowed it down to 2 choices...either a Lincoln, or a Porsche. She likes them, but they're also the most convenient dealers for us. She was at one point considering Mercedes and Land Rover, but the dealers are a PITA to get to, so it's not worth the added headaches.

From my own experiences, the vehicles are getting ever more expensive, but the level of service received hasn't kept pace by any means.
Have you tried Union Park? I believe they sell Buicks. I had a horrible experience with them at the Jaguar dealership and decided to go to PA instead.

·
Jeepaholic
6,958 Posts
Have you tried Union Park? I believe they sell Buicks. I had a horrible experience with them at the Jaguar dealership and decided to go to PA instead.
We went up there once to look at an Acadia, and it was a pain. I was swearing the whole time trying to navigate the asinine streets of Wilmington, I try to avoid going up to Wilmington unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
598 Posts
We went up there once to look at an Acadia, and it was a pain. I was swearing the whole time trying to navigate the asinine streets of Wilmington, I try to avoid going up to Wilmington unless absolutely necessary.
I didn't care for their customer service especially in a high-end dealership. I agree it can be a pain riding through the city.

·
Jeepaholic
6,958 Posts
I didn't care for their customer service especially in a high-end dealership. I agree it can be a pain riding through the city.
Buick consistently rates high in all of the JD Power surveys, but I haven’t been that impressed with our experiences. Not to knock Buick specifically, I feel like customer service is lacking in general at many dealers regardless of brand, and not just in the auto industry. I don’t think it gets the attention and focus that it needs, and it can make such a big impression on a customer. The old saying, “they might not remember what you said or did, but they will remember how you made them feel”. And with the inflated auto prices, it would seem logical to expect better service for those higher prices.

Reactions: tlc

·
Registered
598 Posts
Buick consistently rates high in all of the JD Power surveys, but I haven’t been that impressed with our experiences. Not to knock Buick specifically, I feel like customer service is lacking in general at many dealers regardless of brand, and not just in the auto industry. I don’t think it gets the attention and focus that it needs, and it can make such a big impression on a customer. The old saying, “they might not remember what you said or did, but they will remember how you made them feel”. And with the inflated auto prices, it would seem logical to expect better service for those higher prices.
I agree with you. When I was looking for a new Acura the place where I had purchased the current one literally left me standing there as I walked around looking and clearly looking for someone to talk to. This was Hertrich. I go down to Camden and was treated like a king. I go into Union Park Jaguar and they asked me if I was picking up something for my boss and to go around the side. I looked at them and walked out. West Chester was the best service I've had. Customer service definitely needs to be worked on.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Forcing people to take the 'optional' OnStar and not having any passenger cars should do a pretty good job at thinning the dealership herd right there. Also heard the Encore is gone so no small Buick (personally not a big deal for me).

·
370,000 miles
1,493 Posts
Forcing people to take the 'optional' OnStar and not having any passenger cars should do a pretty good job at thinning the dealership herd right there. Also heard the Encore is gone so no small Buick (personally not a big deal for me).
My opinion is that forcing you to take the OnStar will do a good job at thinning the customer herd also - but maybe that was your point.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I gather the level of apparent service is declining as the work shifts more and more to something akin to neurosurgery than wrench turning. They rely on the OBD and whatever their manuals say, and if that doesn't solve the problem they are lost.

·
Jeepaholic
6,958 Posts
I gather the level of apparent service is declining as the work shifts more and more to something akin to neurosurgery than wrench turning. They rely on the OBD and whatever their manuals say, and if that doesn't solve the problem they are lost.
That’s one aspect, yes. It’s the global treatment the customer receives that needs to be addressed. From how they’re greeted when they come in, how they’re treated while they wait, services for pickup & drop off of vehicles, shuttle services, etc.

I’ve seen questions on the JD Power surveys that I’ve received asking opinions on different services like pick up and drop off and whether it would be acceptable to the customer to pay for those services, and if so how much.

Whatever the services they offer or the customer service actions they have, they have to be consistent with them. That’s what I’ve found to be lacking…the consistency with the service received.

·
370,000 miles
1,493 Posts
That’s one aspect, yes. It’s the global treatment the customer receives that needs to be addressed. From how they’re greeted when they come in, how they’re treated while they wait, services for pickup & drop off of vehicles, shuttle services, etc.

I’ve seen questions on the JD Power surveys that I’ve received asking opinions on different services like pick up and drop off and whether it would be acceptable to the customer to pay for those services, and if so how much.

Whatever the services they offer or the customer service actions they have, they have to be consistent with them. That’s what I’ve found to be lacking…the consistency with the service received.
A customer service issue I've had in the past was a tug of war to get warranty service covered. There for a while, almost every warranty service claim I had was denied initially, and it felt like a second job just getting it taken care of. That's what drove me away from dealer service - I go to an independent garage, even during the warranty period unless it's a significant cost item.

·
Jeepaholic
6,958 Posts
A customer service issue I've had in the past was a tug of war to get warranty service covered. There for a while, almost every warranty service claim I had was denied initially, and it felt like a second job just getting it taken care of. That's what drove me away from dealer service - I go to an independent garage, even during the warranty period unless it's a significant cost item.
Yup. Once the warranty is expired it’s off to our independent mechanic I go (regardless of which brand vehicle). Unless it’s a recall.

Reactions: somber

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,386 Posts
Yup. Once the warranty is expired it’s off to our independent mechanic I go (regardless of which brand vehicle). Unless it’s a recall.
My 16-year-old Ram still sees the dealer about once a year for its annual state safety inspection (free since I bought it there). With 284K miles it's been long out of warranty. Otherwise, when service is needed, it sees the local independent garage.

When I am at the dealership the truck looks so "old" compared to the other vehicles coming in for service.

·
Jeepaholic
6,958 Posts
My 16-year-old Ram still sees the dealer about once a year for its annual state safety inspection (free since I bought it there). With 284K miles it's been long out of warranty. Otherwise, when service is needed, it sees the local independent garage.

When I am at the dealership the truck looks so "old" compared to the other vehicles coming in for service.
Yeah, my old Liberty was looking pretty long in the tooth when I’d bring it in towards the end. I had started to take it to an independent garage for the last few years. At least there I can get a loaner, something I’ve never gotten at any of our dealers, regardless of brand. It might be an old beater, but it gets me from A to B.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,386 Posts
I only got a loaner once and that was when I brought our '10 Journey SXT in for two recalls. One was a donut installed around the ignition switch and the other was to flash the airbag module. Donut was installed no problem, but when they attempted to flash the airbag module, it got fried. They installed a new module, same result. Found the problem was the hand-held unit they were using to flash the module had a short, but they didn't have any more airbag modules in stock, and it would be Monday before they would. This was on a Saturday. So, they arranged a rental with Enterprise with the only hitch that it had to be a CDJR product. Enterprise only had two Rams and a Dakota to choose from. Ended up with a '10 Ram 1500 with the 4.7L. So, I had two Rams in my driveway for a weekend. :)

Since the Journey was my wife's car, she got to drive the newer Ram for a few days. The '10 Ram had the upgraded 4.7L (330 hp), but the Hemi in my '06 felt like it had more ummmph.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yeah, my old Liberty was looking pretty long in the tooth when I’d bring it in towards the end. I had started to take it to an independent garage for the last few years. At least there I can get a loaner, something I’ve never gotten at any of our dealers, regardless of brand. It might be an old beater, but it gets me from A to B.
I have yet to find a good independent shop.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts