Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accidentally broke my front bumper cover (2005 PTC TE convertible) today on a parking lot concrete block. Trying to find a replacement. All the ones I can find have the molded-in depressions. Can someone provide the correct part # for the smooth style bumper and suggest where to find one at a reasonable price? Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
691 Posts
A vin # would be more helpful (although I won't be able to check it until the morning) due to there being 4 different options (with vin codes MCJ, MLT, MLE, & ML4 showing up).
However, I can tell you that MCJ & ML4 both come up as the "Front Fascia Body Color" (the others having chrome as well) with MCJ's part number being 5093640AA, ML4's as 5086116AB. If someone says the part numbers are too short, add a zero before the entire number. The part number's in the catalog come up with 0's first, but I always give it out without, as it seems the 0 is kinda useless.
All these fascia's are also primed only: none come pre-painted.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
691 Posts
A vin # would be more helpful (although I won't be able to check it until the morning) due to there being 4 different options (with vin codes MCJ, MLT, MLE, & ML4 showing up).
However, I can tell you that MCJ & ML4 both come up as the "Front Fascia Body Color" (the others having chrome as well) with MCJ's part number being 5093640AA, ML4's as 5086116AB. If someone says the part numbers are too short, add a zero before the entire number. The part number's in the catalog come up with 0's first, but I always give it out without, as it seems the 0 is kinda useless.
All these fascia's are also primed only: none come pre-painted.
Accidentally broke my front bumper cover (2005 PTC TE convertible) today on a parking lot concrete block. Trying to find a replacement. All the ones I can find have the molded-in depressions. Can someone provide the correct part # for the smooth style bumper and suggest where to find one at a reasonable price? Thanks.
View attachment 81560
If you meant the 2006+ style bumpers, the most up-to-date number for that is 68166405AA. It's also primed only, and you'll need foam part number 5116156AC & 2 molding clips of 5303389AA. I can't really tell you if it's a direct replacement or not, so you may or may not need more parts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you meant the 2006+ style bumpers, the most up-to-date number for that is 68166405AA. It's also primed only, and you'll need foam part number 5116156AC & 2 molding clips of 5303389AA. I can't really tell you if it's a direct replacement or not, so you may or may not need more parts.
2006-up won't fit due to scalloped headlights. It's a 2005 as in the pic. At this point I don't really care if it's painted or not, just that it's a "smoothie" style. VIN # 3C3AY55E85T500906. Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
I see on your PT the optional ground effects kit (side rocker panels and lower lip of front bumper cover):

You're probably not going to find those available anywhere except maybe a salvage yard vehicle if you ever need one section, so hopefully the front one isn't too damaged and you can transfer it to the replacement bumper.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
You can call your local dealership and with the VIN they can give you the correct part # for your PT:

These are what's in the '05 Parts Catalog:

There is another report, available through the dealership, that will give you the 3 letter code for the bumper cover on your PT, it's similar to a Build Sheet, but has the codes for the parts used on your vehicle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ground effects were not damaged. When I hit the curb, the fascia snapped off at the spot where it joins the fender at the side (see where I duct taped it to get home). I can transfer those to a new bumper cover. For the price being asked for a "smoothie" cover I may have to go with a "recess" cover.

On aside note, I have to say I'm very disappointed with the lack of quality I've experienced with my Cruiser so far. This is the first Chrysler product I've ever owned, and it seems that every piece of plastic from windshield washer nozzles, ECU harness clips, dash panels to bumpers, is brittle and fragile. I won't buy into the argument that it's because it's 16 years old. My 33 year old Fiero didn't have these problems and if my wife didn't have hip problems making it necessary to have a "tall" car, I'd be rid of this thing.

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
You will save a huge amount of money by buying a reconditioned or prepainted aftermarket bumper cover. When my 99 minivan was involved in an accident, the person that hit it had no insurance and I had $1000 deductible. For less than the cost of a new bumper cover I got a prepainted bumper cover, the grill, and all the damaged lights. I’m sure my bumper cover was aftermarket, but fit fine and the place I got mine had paint that matched perfectly.

I would check eBay and also look around locally. You’ll probably spend less than 1/2 the cost of the factory part that needs paint.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
691 Posts
2006-up won't fit due to scalloped headlights. It's a 2005 as in the pic. At this point I don't really care if it's painted or not, just that it's a "smoothie" style. VIN # 3C3AY55E85T500906. Thanks for your help.
Fair enough.
You're bumper part number is 5086116AB (it's an ML4). I don't know were you live, but there's no PDC in the US with one, just 9 dealers have it.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
Fair enough.
You're bumper part number is 5086116AB (it's an ML4). I don't know were you live, but there's no PDC in the US with one, just 9 dealers have it.
I'm surprised dealers still have it.

If I needed one, and it absolutely had to be OEM, and one of those dealers were near me to where I could pick it up and not have any shipping charges, I would go talk to the parts manager and offer them 1/2 price, hoping they would rather take something for a 16 year old part, than continue to be stuck with it.

But then there is the issue that it would still need to be painted, which would be an added expense.

On eBay, there are many offering skins that are pre painted, and free shipping for around $300 or less.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
691 Posts
I'm surprised dealers still have it.

If I needed one, and it absolutely had to be OEM, and one of those dealers were near me to where I could pick it up and not have any shipping charges, I would go talk to the parts manager and offer them 1/2 price, hoping they would rather take something for a 16 year old part, than continue to be stuck with it.

But then there is the issue that it would still need to be painted, which would be an added expense.

On eBay, there are many offering skins that are pre painted, and free shipping for around $300 or less.
Says who they're 16 years old?
A lot of parts, especially around time of discontinuation, still came from a distributor around a year or so of the part in question being discontinued.
Granted, as far as I can tell, the bumper is not discontinued, so try anything at your own risk.

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
Would like to have a link to one for a 2005. I haven't found one yet.
Try a google search for prepainted bumper covers. There are many vendors.
I found several companies offering them for many different cars online. Obviously research the companies and make sure they have the version you need.
You may even have a local bumper reconditioning place that can save shipping. Ask a couple local body shops.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would a bumper cover from a Dream Cruiser work on my Touring Edition? I can't see any difference and it's a "smoothie".

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
Says who they're 16 years old?
A lot of parts, especially around time of discontinuation, still came from a distributor around a year or so of the part in question being discontinued.
Granted, as far as I can tell, the bumper is not discontinued, so try anything at your own risk.
I was just going off the year of his PT, for basing the 16 year remark.

How large would a dealership parts room/warehouse have to be, if they kept parts for all other vehicles that old?

Do they really think they're going to have a rush of someone coming in for a new OEM bumper for their 16 year old PT?

I recently had to order a replacement set of the chrome door spears for my PT. I got them from a dealership, online, but they don't stock anything, they just drop ship from a central warehouse, and those parts were packed in 2009.

One thing I did do, because I didn't want to trust 12 old 3M body tape, so I replaced all the tape on them, and even added more. But I got those at a good discount, over other dealers. I was even considering getting another set, just to have as spares.

Reactions: World14

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
691 Posts

How large would a dealership parts room/warehouse have to be, if they kept parts for all other vehicles that old?

Do they really think they're going to have a rush of someone coming in for a new OEM bumper for their 16 year old PT?

I recently had to order a replacement set of the chrome door spears for my PT. I got them from a dealership, online, but they don't stock anything, they just drop ship from a central warehouse, and those parts were packed in 2009.

One thing I did do, because I didn't want to trust 12 old 3M body tape, so I replaced all the tape on them, and even added more. But I got those at a good discount, over other dealers. I was even considering getting another set, just to have as spares.
For all the old parts? One massive warehouse.
For what they might have had to keep in stock, who knows.
I just know some parts for older vehicles are more recently packaged at times, hence my comment.

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts

Probably ordered for a job that didn't happen.
Before they let it go for half price, they'd probably transfer it to another dealership that needs and requests it if the warehouse is out.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
Would like to have a link to one for a 2005. I haven't found one yet.
Here is a place offering the exact bumper you want (Mopar 5086116AB) smoothie and pre-painted, I have no idea what they charge for shipping:

If you don't mind the recesses, here's a couple of choices:

$311, pre-painted and free shipping:

$307.91 pre-painted, I have no idea what the shipping is because I didn't complete an order:

Now if you had a Gen2, there are numerous vendors on eBay, pre-painted, less than $300 and free shipping:

Todd (Handy_Cruiser) bought one for his '07 convertible, I believe from eBay, and he was very happy with it.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
Probably ordered for a job that didn't happen.
Before they let it go for half price, they'd probably transfer it to another dealership that needs and requests it if the warehouse is out.
World14 said in a previous post that 9 dealerships have them.

I find it very hard to believe that they actually still have them. ;)

I'm more inclined to believe that they may still have them on their books (in their computerized inventory), but if I were to call them actually wanting to buy one, I would more likely get the reply that they can't find them. They would then remove them from their computerized inventory listing.

I had that happen a few months ago when I was looking for a door seal that had been discontinued. I called my local dealership and they gave me 3 other dealerships in the country that showed to have them in stock. But when I called, all 3 of them replied that they couldn't find them. Now it's also possible that they were too lazy and never even looked.

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
World14 said in a previous post that 9 dealerships have them.

I find it very hard to believe that they actually still have them. ;)

I'm more inclined to believe that they may still have them on their books (in their computerized inventory), but if I were to call them actually wanting to buy one, I would more likely get the reply that they can't find them. They would then remove them from their computerized inventory listing.

I had that happen a few months ago when I was looking for a door seal that had been discontinued. I called my local dealership and they gave me 3 other dealerships in the country that showed to have them in stock. But when I called, all 3 of them replied that they couldn't find them. Now it's also possible that they were too lazy and never even looked.
When I’ve been told a dealer shows a part in stock, I’ve either had that part transferred to my dealer or called the dealer with the part and sent it to me. Guess I’m luckier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts