Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a sweet Rampage in a barn with mileage in the 70k range. 4 speed car in really solid condition from the looks. It drove in under it's own power so I'm hoping just a fuel cleanse will do the trick! I've never owned a collectible Mopar before so I'm pretty excited. I'll post some pictures once I haul it out of the barn and get it running. I have a few project Ramblers, but I want something that I can take out and enjoy sooner than I expect to be finished, so this will be my show car next season.

·
Super Moderator
36,951 Posts
I had one for a while maybe 5-7 years and I loved it. it wasn't perfect and I used it as a truck. The only real issue I had was the carb and with a little work I got that sorted out and it ran nicely. I eventually needed more truck and sold it. If I'd had the room I would have kept it and continued with a turbo conversion though that's a bit of work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have access to a lancer turbo that had a little fuel fire mishap, but I think this rampage is too nice to make into a project. I'd like to keep it original and enjoy as is, then upgrade down the road for another classic. I have a 94 mustang I've gutted and will make a track car out of and a 65 Marlin to build for the drags, both of these would have cost more to bring back to original then they are worth. Personally I have the greatest respect for original cars and I wouldn't want to ruin one that is nice. Now if once i see the car in the daylight and get a chance to do an upclose inspection I may change my mind. I've only seen the car from 10 feet away so far as it's buried by parts and other cars (actually there is a 1970 Hemi Cuda blocking it (NFS), the proverbial Cuda in a barn!)

·
Super Moderator
36,951 Posts
I agree with your approach for a low mileage original unit. My Rampage was nice, solid and rust free but the previous owner had hauled a motorbike in it so it needed cosmetics to be perfect. In the end, all I did was add aluminum wheels from an early 4-lug Dodge Daytona and replaced the torn seats with identical ones from the junkyard. I had a wrecked 2.5 turbo LeBaron, the Shelby Charger hood and nose and lots of nice parts to swap but I sold the truck and the parts to different people.

The biggest problem I had was cold starts. There was a small bushing (plastic I think) on the choke shaft that was missing and the choke would bind. Once I fixed that it started and ran fine cold or hot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well of course after dragging it out of the barn it's not quite the gem I first thought, but still a solid car, just a repaint that wasn't quite properly done. Still I really like it and look forward to gradually getting it back in good working order and keeping things origional. Today I did the basics of oil/air filters and fixed the e-brake. The regular brakes will need all new lines and there is a valve noise. Exhaust leak but otherwise it will be inspect-able in the challenging state of Pennsylvania.

·
Super Moderator
36,951 Posts
Looks very nice in blue. Congratulations.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I like that. Is that an original color or a spray over something else? I've never seen on that color before.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Original color was a horrid beige. It was just sprayed over without much prepping so I'll have to re-do it once I get everything else sorted out. I really like the color too, I think they were going for B5 Blue or something close.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Yep, my Dad had a 67 Belvedere in the B5 blue. I loved that car even though it was a four door. It had a 383 in it and that sucker would fly!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Things are coming together slowly. I had to replace the headlight switch and brake switch, there is some water leaking in from the windshield seal that has been corroding things. A car cover will have to do for now, but I'll put some plastic over it as well. Also fixed the wiper linkage, they had the grommets from the "help" parts at Advance Auto. Of course with only 2 days a week off and other family things to do (we're working on an old farm house to move into shortly) I am happy when I am able to get anything done! I am going to try to tackle the front brake lines this week.

Also took a closer look at the patch in the rear quarter and realized it was more bondo than metal. I've never done body work before, but this will be a good car to learn on as the only areas I see of concern are simple shapes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'll continue my tale of work to get this truck back to inspectable for PA. I replaced a grommet on the shifter linkage, still available at Chrysler dealer, though I'm still not able to get it into reverse easily. I also determined that I'll have to replace the second cat at least, we'll see if that finishes the exhaust leaks.

My horn has been going off mid-day, so I took it apart and saw most of the foam has deteriorated, going to find a craft shop to replace this and then I should be good.

Also decided to replace the entire brake system. Someone previous to me took out the rear proportioning valve, which I'd like to replace someday, but I won't worry about it for now.

All fun times! It's been much fun to have a car that I can work on again! I'm most looking forward to getting the brakes done.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car now goes forward and backwards on command! Replaced all four of the linkage grommets this time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We've been busy renovating our new old house. I got to move the Rampage to a garage and got to work on it. Alternator, wipers, and battery hold down. Getting closer to inspection!

Just wondering if there is a better way to get to the lower 14mm bolt on the belt tensioner? I had to remove the radiator shroud. It didn't seem overly convient for future road side repairs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replaced the struts and got the front brakes all set to go. Started on the rear brakes. I also replaced the windshield waster motor which not only works, but fixed the leak. I also discovered that my differential has a pretty nasty leak, so I'll have to fix that too. I'm getting close to Pennsylvania inspection standards!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Removed the intake manifold and broke the stud that hold the ground strip. Odd because the bolt had broken loose but oh well. Also have a stripped nut on EGR valve. I'm going to go ahead and actually restore the emissions system. I've not looked at the air pump yet, but the lack of a belt makes me assume it's broken. I know it's a non serviceable unit as per TSM, but has anyone ever rebuilt one? At least I flushed the coolant and replaced the thermostat and all hoses! Something to cross off the list (a list which keeps on growing!)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear brakes done! Just have to bleed em. Waiting on new air pumpnfor emissions. Getting close!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Don't forget that air diverter tube which connects air pump air to the exhaust manifold with a 7/8"nut. If the reed valve is bad, it will let the exhaust back up the tube and ruin the air pump, which is 90% of all failures when people ignore the exhaust noise!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll look into that, it will end up being all new emissions and vacuum system. If the car holds up it will eventually get rebuilt engine/trans and then a body restoration. I just need it running solid for now. I have to divert work to the Mustang project too. Cars that run are easier to spend money on when I have to get support from my lady.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I hear that! That's why when I was wrenching for a living, I started doing a lot of my own repairs for customers at home or in some auto clubs I belonged too for extra money. That enabled me to but my first boat and other things that we wanted, you know, Man toys.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All brakes are done! Now that it stops I have to get it moving again. Spring is coming fast and I will not be without a classic car this year. Got the tube and valve for $6 on rock auto, but I'll have to order a diverter valve from local parts shop. I need to look closer, but at first inspection I didn't see a vac nipple on the top of mine as shown in the TSM. Mine looked more like the Canadian version from the drawing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts