Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our newest addition to the Mopar fleet has made a weird 'whistle' from day one. At above 55mph a high pitch whistle is heard. The loudness of the whistle corresponds to the engine rpm. For example, cruising at 65mph the whistle is high pitched and constant. I let off the accelerator and the tone of the whistle lowers alittle as does the loudness. I would say it is coming from the front dashboard, driver's side. But with the acoustics of the cabin it is hard to really determine. With the radio on it cannot be heard. But alittle annoying while quiet.
The van has 73K miles.
I'm thinking this is a needle in the haystack but thought maybe someone else out there has had the same issue? Thanks

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
Just a wild guess, but does your T&C have a roof rack with the cross bars? Sometimes the position of the crossbar creates a whistling sound.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Are you sure your air box doesn't have a leak? I'm talking about the one for your engine air filter. Perhaps one of the clips is broken off or missing. It sounds more engine related to me, but I'm not a mechanic.

·
Registered
682 Posts
might give a quick look to all your weatherstripping in the cabin and all the seals between the engine bay and the passenger compartment.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
I have used a body shop (painter's) masking tape to tape over seams and gaps in the body panels, cowl, glass and firewall to try and locate a whistle or buzz caused by wind. Apply over one section at a time. The tape won't harm the finish.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great ideas everyone. Since the 'loudness' of the whistle directly correlates with the engine rpm above 55mph I'm thinking a vacuum leak?. Next time out I'm going to try depressing the brake pedal slightly to see if that affects the 'whistle'. Great thinking ImperialCrown!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the van on the interstate yesterday and unfortunately it's not a brake vacuum issue. It sounds more like a high pitched electrical whine/whistle. I turned on/off every switch but that didn't affect anything. It's the oddest thing. The high pitch always stays the same but the 'loundness' varies with the engine rpm. Any ideas? Remember the alternator feedback you'd get on the am radio's back in the day....?...

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Maybe you've got a bearing going out on one of the pulleys. Have you tried listening it all of them with a stethoscope?

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Try to locate the source from inside the vehicle. Does the passenger hear the same noise from the same direction? If the passenger can get up and listen to the base of the windshield/cowl area or down by the floor, does the aural perspective change at all? Is it directly out front under or in front of the vehicle? Does opening a window slightly change the noise? Does it happen in rain or does temperature have an effect?
If related to engine speed, it may also occur at a standstill by bringing the RPM up. If it is transaxle-related, it may occur on a lift in gear at speed while searching for the noise source.
If it is wind whistle, the body tape-off method may help. Loose rubber splash aprons, weatherstrips, trim mouldings and body gaps can act like a reed and are common whistlers. There is a large high-pressure at the front of the vehicle and low-pressure at the vehicle sides and rear.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you ImperialCrown. I'll have to get an assistant and do some investigative work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts