Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back again fellow Allpar users---- I was wondering ,how do I replace a Camshaft seal ?????

Would I have to do the DREADED timing belt replacement?????

I was steered into this disscusion because of possible Leakage from that area.

I do not know if it is Leaking , Would the valve cover need to be removed to check iT???

adios,stu

·
Super Moderator
31,988 Posts
If it's leaking, the driver's side of the head (short side) will have oil stains from the seal down to the block. Wipe it dry, if no further oil shows after a few days of driving, it's good.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Are we talking about the front seal or the rear (usually a sealing cap). If it is the front seal, remove the top plastic timing cover and look around the timing belt sprocket for wetness or streaking stains from oil.

For a front seal, the timing belt and sprocket will need to come off since the seal is external. There is no need to remove the valve cover. Follow the directions for the timing belt replacement if you do not plan on suspending the sprocket and belt together under tension (the seal can be replaced by suspending the belt tie wrapped to the sprocket under tension).

All this assumes a 2.2 or 2.5 4 cylinder setup.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are we talking about the front seal or the rear (usually a sealing cap). If it is the front seal, remove the top plastic timing cover and look around the timing belt sprocket for wetness or streaking stains from oil.

For a front seal, the timing belt and sprocket will need to come off since the seal is external. There is no need to remove the valve cover. Follow the directions for the timing belt replacement if you do not plan on suspending the sprocket and belt together under tension (the seal can be replaced by suspending the belt tie wrapped to the sprocket under tension).

All this assumes a 2.2 or 2.5 4 cylinder setup.
--------------------------------------------------OK thanks for the Explanation , so far I did not see a leak there, I did a running test ,and so far my Oil leak is seeming to issue out of the stupid Rubber Gasket/Grommet on the back of the 2.2 -Valve Cover :excited: .

I picked up a valve cover from a 2.5 Litre reliant (TBI) would this fit in the carureted 2.2 underhood setup?????-adios ,stu

1 - 4 of 4 Posts