Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I evaluating the repairs required for my daughters 2006 Chrysler Town and Country. It has 300,000 and a bunch of engine issues(intake and possibly head gasket, rings are worn, and a couple valves are leaking by), however the body is in good shape. We have a donor car, it's a 2003 Caravan with only 100,000 but the body needs a ton of work.
The 2006 has engine code EGA , and the Caravan has engine code EGM. These look very similar, but there are some differences like the EGR valve. I think I would probably swap engine and tranny as a unit if did.
Would I also have to swap the PCM?
Would that require swapping the wiring harness too?
Would I run into other issues because the VIN does not match?

Thanks, Stan

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. I think that the differences would entail a huge Frankenvan project and a result that might not legally pass the state emission test for state inspection:
Emissions | Department of Motor Vehicles (at http://dmv.vermont.gov/enforcement-and-safety/laws/emissions )
I would repair or replace the 2006 engine with a 2006 engine. The 3.3L/3.8L changed after 2003 according to the Mopar reman catalog. They were the same from 2004-2005 and changed again for 2006.
See p. 132 here:
http://www.moparpartsworldwide.com/moparreman.pdf

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think you can do this swap if you change the timing set/front cover to match the current PCM. You will want to reuse the PCM, harness, ect in the 2006 (the 2003 will not work in the 2006 van). The cylinder heads are the same, Chrysler just used a block off plate for non EGR and didn't drill the hole in the upper intake. So you are good there. Some block casting differences but nothing that should cause you any issues. I would check the sensors to make sure none of them change part numbers and use the lower mileage ones that you can.

TIMING GEARS AND CHAINS

The timing components were changed three times from ’01 through ’09 and they’re not interchangeable, so it pays to know the difference. Here’s what they did:

2001-’03: These engines used the same chain and gears that were used back in ’94 because all the vehicles used the same “SBEC computer” which is commonly called “w/o NGC” now. The cam gear is p/n 4778707AB.

2004-1/1/05: Chrysler introduced the “next generation controller” (NGC) in ’04, so there are three more notches in the cam sensor and all of the notches are in different locations; the new cam gear is part number 5127185AA. It still uses the wide gear that’s about 0.540? wide along with the wide chain that measures about 0.685? across the links.

1/1/05-’08: Chrysler continued to use NGC setup, but they switched to a narrow gear that’s approximately 0.415? wide with a chain that measures about 0.555? across the links. This gear is a p/n 5137663AA.

There are a couple of caveats regarding the timing components, too:

1) The front covers were modified to relocate the cam sensor when the cam sprocket and chain were changed, so they’re not interchangeable by application unless you use the matching chain and gears.

2) Chrysler has superseded all the old front covers for the minivans to the latest version that requires the use of a special narrow gear and chain setup (p/n 68001398AA) for the engines that originally came without NGC. Be sure to check all of the narrow gears that come off any cores to see if they are with or without NGC before reusing them.

More info here: Rebuilding the Chrysler 3.3L / 3.8L Engine (at http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2010/03/rebuilding-the-chrysler-3-3l3-8l-engine/ )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, this is great info and confirms my initial fears. I finished testing and inspecting stuff on the Caravan today, Need to sit and look at all the data and options, but I may be restoring that instead. I dread the body work, it needs front end work and a Radiator, but mechanically it looks like it is in better shape.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
My wife had a 2002 Caravan with brake line, rocker and rear 1/4 panel rust-out. It still ran well, shifted well and was good on gas.
Structurally the vehicle was still safe and solid, it just needed a lot of TLC and some money.
It was a good choice when we bought it used for her bad back. I installed a passenger-side grab handle to help her mom pull herself in.
She ended up trading it. We still miss the old minivan. Many happy miles and memories.
It seemed to do everything that we asked it to, any weather, anytime.
Weigh your options on what you have there. Many RS parts are interchangeable '01-'07.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts