Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
What is " flat towing ", using a " tow bar " ?
Yes. No trailer. Tow vehicle must be able to tow that weight and you can get magnetic lights to plug into the towing rig and attach to the towed unit. Recommend that a "IN TOW" sign be on the back of the towed unit.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yep. I have only towed a utility trailer locally so others will better advise you, but I'd be concerned about the towing vehicle with a towed vehicle the size of a van. I know a guy who flat-towed a Vanagon across states with a Vanagon but I would not have attempted that. I'm thinking that a car trailer behind a suitable truck would be best.

·
Super Moderator
37,851 Posts
What is " flat towing ", using a " tow bar " ?
Same thing. With a tall vehicle that would be more stable than a two wheel dolly or on a trailer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Yes. No trailer. Tow vehicle must be able to tow that weight and you can get magnetic lights to plug into the towing rig and attach to the towed unit. Recommend that a "IN TOW" sign be on the back of the towed unit.
From what I have been able to research my '02 B1500 V6 with 50,000 miles should be able to tow a B1500, a concern might be hitting some steep grade. I would be concerned about getting ticketed driving my rusted '03 5.2 down south, in addition the '03 transmission has 200,000 miles on it.

Same thing. With a tall vehicle that would be more stable than a two wheel dolly or a trailer.
Lower center of gravity, I would think it would be far more stable on flat ground, to be honest, I sometimes get 'noided' of my B1500 tipping over when I am on a slight sideways incline.

Also a trailer will require more towing capacity.
According to the U Haul website the auto transport weighs around 2,100 lbs, a B1500 weighs around 4,200 lbs, that would be a combined weight of around 6,300 lbs.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
A B1500 w/V6 shows tow rating is at max when flat towing a duplicate van. That said, I have found that a smart thing to do is to not ever do full throttle when travelling away from home base. That way you are not stressing anything to the max. Yes, a little slower up hills but you really lower potential failure by a whole bunch. Personally, just over half throttle max cost me about 1.5 hours on a maxed out trip from CA to TX. You can make up time at 4-5 over on the flat if time is critical. Slow on the hill: USE 4-WAYS. You probably will be faster than a lot of semis.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
By chance happened to watch a YouTube video regarding flat towing, apparently if the vehicle in tow is over a certain weight (varies by state, 1,500-5,000 lbs) then the towed vehicle must have a supplemental braking system installed.

Found a 1998 B1500 in Mississippi, fuel pump fuse blows intermittently, could blow once every 5 days, or 5 times in one morning, 136,000 miles, $2,250, clean body, not rusted bad underneath at all, from the videos shot by the seller the engine sounds good.

picture of 1998 B1500.jpg

Not wanting to take a chance driving the van back to Ohio figured I would be better off towing it, purchased a bit of the material to flat tow the vehicle (hitch, tow bar, material to fabricate front frame brace, chain, wiring connectors for lighting), was not counting on having to purchase a supplemental braking system in addition.

That sure throws a wrench into the works. Need to think of a plan B, because plan C and F and GMC are not an option.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Purchased an Even Brake off fleabay, from the picture looks like it might be in good condition, if not almost new, find out when it gets here.

Sure is turning into a project, just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of lower mileage Dodge cargo vans in decent condition for sale, and the ones that do pop up on the internet are gone in a few days or are selling for big bucks, hard to justify spending big bucks on a work van that is going to be driven in the snow that is going to be harder and harder to find body and trim parts for, and can't get there fast enough for the other ones.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
apparently if the vehicle in tow is over a certain weight (varies by state, 1,500-5,000 lbs) then the towed vehicle must have a supplemental braking system installed.
Usually, that means the state law of the vehicle doing the towing applies. Regardless, one would be advised to do their own due dilligence in that regard.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Usually, that means the state law of the vehicle doing the towing applies. Regardless, one would be advised to do their own due dilligence in that regard.
I believe each state law applies within each state regardless the origin of the towing vehicle.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,851 Posts
Some states also require a plate of some sorts on the vehicle being towed if all four wheels are on the ground (but not if the front wheels are on a dolly, which isn't as feasible for a van).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That illustrates precisely why I stated one should do his own due dilligence. Enough with what we think we know. Here's a good reference guide State and Province Towing Laws or two Trailer Brakes - AAA Digest of Motor Laws
I was being polite, you were incorrect, the point of origin of the towing vehicle is moot.

It would take months or researching and years of experience to not even be able to learn half of what the members of this website collectively know, which is the point of this discussion, thank you for your input and suggestions.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Some states also require a plate of some sorts on the vehicle being towed if all four wheels are on the ground (but not if the front wheels are on a dolly, which isn't as feasible for a van).
I was wondering about that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Most offer am in transit tag/permit.
Spoke with two representatives at the Mississippi BMV, they do not offer a temporary tag or plates to out of state residents, which probably would have been the best option and what I did (temporary tag) when I purchased a B1500 from Alabama a few years ago, also asked about what plates would be required to tow a vehicle in Mississippi, if any, one response was " pray whatever paperwork you have is acceptable if you get pulled over ", the other response was, " you have 7 days to register a vehicle in Mississippi once you sign the title, you are own your own once you leave the state ".

The van does not have current plates.

Spoke with my insurance agent, said I would be insured towing another vehicle and if I call with the VIN they can insure the vehicle I am towing.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I was being polite, you were incorrect, the point of origin of the towing vehicle is moot.

It would take months or researching and years of experience to not even be able to learn half of what the members of this website collectively know, which is the point of this discussion, thank you for your input and suggestions.
Yes, I was incorrect. However, as I CORRECTLY stated, one should do his own DUE DILLIGENCE and not just accept anything at face value as far as LEGAL advice, which really takes next to no time in the internet age, even with a slow connection. This isn't a legal forum, let alone a law office.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Spoke with Tennessee Highway Patrol, they only require the towing vehicle to be plated, spoke with Kentucky State Police, they only require the towing vehicle to be plated, spoke with Ohio BMV, they only require the towing vehicle to be plated. Was not the intention to slight the representatives Mississippi BMV, thought it was cute/funny.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You say the van does not have current plates and that the transit states require plates. Does that mean you can tow it with expired plates, and do you intend to do that? It would be a shame to be ticketed in each state you cross on the way home.

One thing I have noticed during Covid is the number of expired plates I see driving around. People just don't bother going to DMV come renewal time. Used to be an occasional thing, but now I see them all day long, so if those plates aren't more than a year or so out you might get away with it.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
You say the van does not have current plates and that the transit states require plates. Does that mean you can tow it with expired plates, and do you intend to do that? It would be a shame to be ticketed in each state you cross on the way home.

One thing I have noticed during Covid is the number of expired plates I see driving around. People just don't bother going to DMV come renewal time. Used to be an occasional thing, but now I see them all day long, so if those plates aren't more than a year or so out you might get away with it.
Towing vehicle to be plated.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts