Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cable to pop the hood tore right at the handle on my 90 LeBaron convertible (because I open the hood way too often to add oil). I tried pulling on the cable as hard as I could, but no dice. Is there any way to manually pop the hood? I need to add oil soon...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You *should* be able to pull the cable with pliers. If that doesn't work, you will have to try to access the latch from below, somehow. When you do get it open, lube the latch assembly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pliers didn't work, but I did figure out how to pop it from below once the sun came out and I could actually see it (I should have used a flashlight, but I got all panicked and make a post on allpar instead :p ). The real problem is that I was in a fender-bender a few years ago and the fron fascia got pushed back a bit.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Sometimes having an assistant pull the handle while you smack the hood will cause it to release.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i have the entire hood release for sale. the cable plus the lever inside. 30 dollars plus shipping. I kind of dont want to sell it but i will since i already broke mine once and had to glue it. I figure it is just a matter of time before i have to use the spare one.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have the entire hood release for sale.
Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather jury-rig something (cutting the cable and threading it through an opening near one of the headlights). Actually, it's far more likely that I'll be lazy and do nothing about it until I have to lay down in the snow to open the hood (and even then...).

·
Registered
733 Posts
it goes up to 100 once snow hits.....

You will have to carry a pair of vice grips or rig something up that uses a lever action like the one under the dash. I dont think you will be able to pull on it with your bare hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts