Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having issues with my commuter 03 Neon so I'll have to drive the ol' van for awhile. It doesn't get driven much anymoer, maybe once a month but it runs fine, 3.3L approx 140,000 mi.
Anyway, it uses a little oil so I need to check it but the hood release won't open the hood. So the inside lever moves freely back and forth but feels like it isn't connected. So I'm thinking the cable snapped or the lock mechanism is frozen due to lack of lubrication.
Anyone have any ideas on how I can get the hood open? Once it's open I have no problem rigging up some kind of pull cable either through or behind the grille but I need to get it open first.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
The hood latch is probably frozen. Have a helper pull on the release lever inside while you 'thump' the front/center of the hood. That may release the latch. Spray it down with lube and then 'exercise' it by closing and opening it a few times.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ImperialCrown said:
The hood latch is probably frozen. Have a helper pull on the release lever inside while you 'thump' the front/center of the hood. That may release the latch. Spray it down with lube and then 'exercise' it by closing and opening it a few times.
Yeah I was going to try that.
The old Fonzi thump.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  • I finally found the time to take a good look at it. Removed the plastic lower dash panel and the fasteners holding the hood release lever. Once it was in the open I was able to get pliers on the cable and gave it a pull and the hood released. Lubed the hood latch really well and it seems to be fine. I would say the main problem was lck of lube and old age. (16 yrs)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts