Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wish there was an app for this but alas there is not. Say you were struck while parked in the rea tire well hard enough to push the whole "hip" in by a vehicle that was large and had a high bumper. Would the resulting torsion on the frame cause stress to the front end of the vehicle too on the same side? Where would be the damage and stress that you would see on a frame that lacked subframe connectors so therefore more body flex? I would like to query the gentleman that wrote this article. http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/Article/71355/new_icar_damage_analysis_course_now_available.aspx

If you are unsure of the answer could you point me to anyone that would? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
The only way you're really going to know is to put the car on an alignment machine.

But it's more likely the car would slide on its tires than twist, the tires would be the path of least resistance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only way you're really going to know is to put the car on an alignment machine.

But it's more likely the car would slide on its tires than twist, the tires would be the path of least resistance.
I would agree with you but the difficult part is that the car was parked near a curb so any "sode to side" motion would be effectively stopped. Also, due to the frame's construction and less than optimal rigidity of rubber bushings, I think there would be a great degree of body flex. Perhaps not to bend the more solid frame but the more at risk parts such as a les than optimal material wise front end. If there is a rusty bit, a unplanned, unengineered stress would snap it, right I see damage to the front end of the same side rear of where it was struck and it just makes sense. It did not happen directly but on the way to the body shop.

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
I doubt you are seeing forces which are harder than hitting a large pot hole unless the car was hit at a very high rate of speed.

It's got to go on an alignment machine or a frame machine to determine if it's twisted. The argument could be made that natural deterioration may be a factor just as much as any accident damage given the description of the front end components.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anything can be fixed. If the ole girl is caved in heavily, there is very likely to be some stresses in the sub structure which will be relieved in the straightening process. You want a good frame man though. I've had cars that I discovered were "acceptably" repaired with structural mismatches of 1/4" or more on the diagonal. Fixing any car only depends on your dedication and wallet. I recall a Hot Rod or CC article where they got to do smokey burnouts and high speed in a Hemi Cuda conv. They asked the owner what it felt like to do that to a million $$$ car and got this reply.

Liberating! I could wad this thing into a tiny ball of metal and not do a million dollars damage to it ! :3rd:

All a matter of perspective!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts