Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im working on a 2005 dodge neon sxt 2.0.. I just got this ride so decided to take a look under the hood.. I've noticed everything seems fine all wires are connected no rips or cuts and checked relays and all fuse's seemed legit decided to fire it up but wont start.. I removed the fuel line to the fuel injector rail had my lady turn the key and no gas came out so I removed the fuel line to fuel pump underneath the car.. again turned the key but no gas.. so I bought starting fluid tried it and started for about 7 seconds.. after knowing it starts up I bought a new fuel pump motor replaced the fuel assembly motor and cleaned the tank.. only to find out it still has no fuel coming out.. then I decided to test it I got a small bucket filled it with some gas removed the pump.. reconnected the wires and placed the fuel pump in the bucket and turned the key again finally gas came out but only when the bottom piece of the fuel pump is surrounded with gas I then pulled the fuel pump a little higher out of the bucket and leaving the bottom piece where the gas filter is and turned the key again no gas.. so after knowing all this im wondering will it only run if I have more than 1/4 of gas cause that would suck who's wants a ride that will only start if I keep It over 1/4 of gas is it not powerful enough.. do I need to check something out.. after I buy more gas I'll update but yeah its a pain..

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,505 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Is it the correct fuel pump for the car? Does it match the original one you removed from the car?
Does it look like this was an ongoing issue for the previous owner?
You should hear the pump run for a second after 'key-on'. If a pump runs dry (no gas) it can destroy the pump quickly.
You want a Mopar 5018697AB or equivalent.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
. . . .So im working on a 2005 dodge neon sxt 2.0.. . . . . . . . I removed the fuel line to the fuel injector rail had my lady turn the key and no gas came out so I removed the fuel line to fuel pump underneath the car.. again turned the key but no gas.. so I bought starting fluid tried it and started for about 7 seconds.. after knowing it starts up I bought a new fuel pump . . . .
You need to test if (1) power is getting to the fuel pump and (2) if the PCM (powertrain control module) can control the electric fuel pump. Try this test.

Find the power distribution center (PDC) in the engine compartment. It is a black box between the battery and left inner fender. The underneath side of the cover has a legend that shows the location of fuses and relays. Find the fuel pump relay. Place hand on the relay while having helper turn ignition key switch to ON / RUN posiiton. Do you feel the relay click? If YES then test horn and make sure horn relay works. If horn works swap horn relay to the fuel pump relay position. Will the engine start and run? Report test results. See attached image.

Product Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey ammoneyy420 now that you have your fuse chart handy I think your first test ought to be looking at every fuse one by one noting if it's good and replacing a relay with a dead one and see if that works also if your car cranks well does it falter or just keep cranking? Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does the neon have 2 fuel n pumps and the outside one been replaced with a used pump you will have to keep fuel at 2/3 or higher because the 95 taurus was like that . Also while starting does the battery 🔋 start losing power or it just keeps cranking, you know if u have an electrical or mechanical problem. When you test drive did it have a full tank and the previous pump replace issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts