Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 dodge stratus with a 2.7L v6 multi port fuel injection. The car will run fine for a week to 3 weeks then all of a sudden you will shut it off to go in somewhere and when you come back it will start and die start and die over and over i have to let the car sit for up to a day before it will start and stay running and then it will run for another week or so then do the same thing. I have changed the fuel pump and the map sensor i was wondering if anyone had any ideas what this could posibly be it would be much helpful

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Although not everything will leave behind a fault code, but are there any stored fault codes?
You want to jump in and check things (spark and fuel) when it is in start/stall mode. Check for spark at a coil pack. See if a shot of carb solvent will keep it running longer.
If you have or can borrow a scan tool, look at the sensor states when cranking. Make sure that cam and crank sensors are 'present', 'active' or 'in sync'.
An erratic security system or SKIM (gray body) key can also cause a start/stall.
Does it seem temperature related?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also sometimes when you get it moving when it wants to die it will somewhat come out of it but it keeps running down the road as long as you dont have to stop and it seem to run fine after that

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
Even with a new fuel pump, I would monitor the fuel pressure with a gauge while it is acting up.
A cheap gauge with a 4' hose can reach the windshield where you can watch it. An adapter can be made up to tie into the fuel rail supply 'quick connect' fitting. Like this one: http://compare.ebay.com/like/110946103155?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Make sure that the fuel line fittings are securely latched and that there are no leaks before closing the hood and going for a test drive.
Was the pump and MAP sensor replaced to try and fix this problem? Was the fuel pressure regulator and filter assembly replaced along with the pump? Did replacing them make any difference?
It does sound fuel supply related to me and this is another step in the diagnosis. Anything that you can rule out as being the cause of the problem will lead you to the correct answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the fuel pump was making all kinds of weird noises and the car was acting like it wasnt getting any fuel a tech at the dodge dealer said it was goin out and the filter and the pump were all one unit. the map sensor was the first thing that i replaced when the car started acting up but that was bofore the fuel pump went out. when i replaced the fuel pump the car ran great for about three weeks i thought it was fixed but then it started doin it again and it was about 95 degrees that day. is there an in line fuel filter either on the under body or under the hood at the parts store they told me there wasnt thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
Any explanation why the new fuel pump died so soon? Repeated fuel pump failures can occur from contaminated fuel in the tank. Did the tech take a fuel sample to look for water or other contaminants.
There is no inline filter, there is the pump intake sock and the combination filter/regulator on top and small mesh screens inside the fuel injectors to catch debris.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was the one who changed the fuel pump and i drained the tank to see if there was anything floating around in the tank and put new gas in thinking that could be it is there anything you could recamend that would clean the injectors with out removing them or should i pull them to clean them. is this something that could happen when it gets hot out

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
Hopefully debris didn't get as far as the injectors and should have been trapped by a filter upstream. Some garbage may be sitting at the bottom or on the walls of the tank. Sometimes it can be wiped clean with a lint-free rag inside.
I'm not saying that water or debris in the tank definitely killed the last pump, but I would watch and listen to this current pump closely for noises, etc. and hopefully it was just a bad pump.
You could run a bottle of Techron through the fuel system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i will add some and i will pull some injectors tomorrow and see what i got. is there any way this could be a ground problem this is what a few people have thought it might be and i would like to get another apinion on it. there was something making a whistling noise coming from under the hood after the last time that it happened (my wife just informed me of this) any idea what this is or if this could be causing it

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
A whistle may be a vacuum leak. Less likely electronic, although that is possible. Check the rubber hoses for deterioration like hardening, softening, rot or cracks, etc. See if you can duplicate the whistle. Hot? Cold? Idle? In gear? Etc.
All grounds must be clean and secure.
If you pull fuel injectors, be prepared to have to replace the o-rings at their age. You don't want to introduce any fuel or vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well injectors that pulled all looked good and clean i dont have the things i need to check fuel pressure now but the car is running fine now and i cant get it to act up i checked for vacuum leaks with spray and checked hoses cant find any bad ones but im going to recheck here in a while do u know of any certain ground that might be causing this i also checked all wire connections that i could find

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Some fuel pressure regulators have a vacuum connection to regulate the fuel pressure. If there is a vacuum leak and incorrect pressure (too much or too little), the car can stall and/or fail to start. Look for a split or loose vacuum hose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts