Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 Grand Caravan with a 3.3L blown engine. I have a friend who live far away that has access to a wrecked 98 Caravan with a 3.8L working engine I can have for the cost of driving a few hours and towing back. Before I do this I want to all of you what issues will I run into making the swap. From what I can see from pictures everything hooks to the engine in the same places since they are basically the same engine on the outside from what I have read. Other than the ecu what problems am I facing? Please Help :)

Thank you for your time, Brian

·
Super Moderator
37,850 Posts
If you want a 3.8, you’d be better finding one closer in vintage to your van, though they never installed a 3.8 into a van until 1994.

Problems you will run into: your van is OBD1, the new engine OBD2. You’ll probably find lots of sensor differences. You’ll have to run the 3.8 with the 3.3 computer. The newer engine probably won’t run well, so you’d need a custom tune for the computer if anyone even makes such a tune. The stronger 3.8 may be more than your transmission can handle.

Can you make it work? Probably but it won’t be as easy as just swapping the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 90 Grand Caravan with a 3.3L blown engine. I have a friend who live far away that has access to a wrecked 98 Caravan with a 3.8L working engine I can have for the cost of driving a few hours and towing back. Before I do this I want to all of you what issues will I run into making the swap. From what I can see from pictures everything hooks to the engine in the same places since they are basically the same engine on the outside from what I have read. Other than the ecu what problems am I facing? Please Help :)

It is need to replacement of Engine Replacement

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

·
Valued Member
2,455 Posts
Since it is a wrecked van take all the electronics and sensors and wiring harness. That should help a lot.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Respectfully, integrating the newer Engine to run on 1990 Electronics is doable.

Trying to integrate 98 electronics and harness to a 90 is ----------

Using the 90 sensors on the 98 Engines keeps the 90 SBEC in control.

1990 Timing chain cover/ timing components must be used as well.

These are for the cam sensor and must match the computer (SBEC)

The flexplate contains the Crank sensor windows so the 90 is retained.

If anyone can accurately dispute any of this please do.

Been awhile since my 3.3 early/late swap involvement.

We do strive for accuracy!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you gentlemen for your information. I am not sure I can do as much of this on my own as I would have like, I will consult a mechanic friend and see what we can do together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts