Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has an '85 Turismo (2.2), and recently had some work done on it. She called to tell me the carb plate was cracked and needed to be replaced. The mechanic welded it back together, as he has no idea where to get one.

Anyone have ideas for an inexpensive replacement? I didn't know the carb plate can crack until now.

Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I don't know if the mechanic cracked it, but I will talk with him while I am visiting my sister this weekend.

Being that she wasn't at the shop, I feel the mechanic fabricated s bit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It would be a unlikely that he cracked it. 30 years of heat can do alot to parts. Id think his fix should be sufficent.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
It would all depend on where it cracked or broke. If it was at at a mounting stud, it probably should be replaced.
Most shops and technicians aren't able to properly prep and weld aluminum.
These isolators used to be made of rubber to keep the carburetor from shaking itself to bits internally with 4-cylinder engine vibration and to keep the carb cool, but the gasoline eventually attacked the rubber and they would leak vacuum. Then they went to aluminum.
A specialized welding shop might be able to do a better repair, but for what they may charge a replacement part might be a better deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts