Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My ultimate goal is to figure out if I can get CarPlay in my 2015 200. I know the Uconnect 3 head unit will not support CarPlay, but I have a crazy idea... What if I were to get an OEM Uconnect 4 head unit for my 2015 200? I found a site that sells the OEM UC 4 head unit: 8.4 UAS UConnect Touch Screen Radio

Would I run into any issues trying to install it in my car? I know you needed to be mindful of the BUS speed in the older head units, but I haven't heard anything on the newer systems.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Uconnect 3 head unit
Are you referring to the non NAV 8.4 or the base line radio Uconnect 3.0? This will make a huge difference.

As far as the BUS. The BUS speed is the same for all the 2015, CAN IHS. The radios are not vehicle specific or VIN locked like most modules in the car, so you can buy a used one from the junk yard. You will most likely need to input a unlock code in the radio after installing the radio. You will need proof the you legally purchased the radio, the radio serial number (located on a sticker on the radio), and your VIN number. The dealer can then look up the unlock code for the radio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently have the UC 3 head unit with NAV, but would be interested in moving to the UC 4 head unit without NAV. Someone told me the BUS in a 2015 200 won't recognize a UC 4 head unit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK I think you are wanting to use the 2017+ 300, Charger, Challenger radio in your 2015 200. The problem is not BUS communication but vehicle BUS configuration (BCM software) and hardware differences between the 300 and 200 designs. The 2017+ radio will work in older 300s, Chargers, and Challengers, but I do not think it will work in the 200. The 200 would talk to the UAS but there is more to it. Chrysler likes to make it hard to swap parts. And "only supports factory installed or Mopar accessories", direct quote I got from engineering. If the 200 sees a hardware upgrade to the UAS design you will probable be good. You might convince a junkyard to let you plug a UAS radio in and see if it will work but probably not. The 200 will most likely get the UAS but I don't know if you want to wait for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see. I doubt the 200 will see a UAS upgrade, because it has been discontinued... Unless FCA wants to throw a bone to 200 owners and develop a hardware upgrade for the existing 200 owners. I really only want CarPlay, and I understand why the UC 3 head unit won't support it due to the screen resolution being lower than what Apple requires via the MFi spec.

Does the BCM software not recognize it, because the 200 and 300 have different configurable hardware options? I know UC is tightly integrated into other vehicle systems per the configuration options in the settings app.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does the BCM software not recognize it, because the 200 and 300 have different configurable hardware options?
The BCM software is only designed to recognize hardware IDs that are factory options. So the BCM would see a hardware ID that it isn't in its list of acceptable devices and would not respond to messages from the radio. The only work around that I can think of would be some how get the 300s radio to allow you to flash the 200s software in it. The radio checks the software before starting an update but rename some files might be enough to trick the radio into doing it. It could also brick the radio. I can get you the needed software but taking the chance would be up to you. There is hardware differences between the radios but they are all made by the same vendor using the same radio platform.

Electronics Technology Electronic device

This is the 200

Electronics Technology Electronic device Machine

This is the 300, Charger, and Challenger
Electronics Technology Electronic device

This is the JEEP and RAM truck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your best bet is going to find someone that is willing to let you plug the UAS radio into your car and see if it boots and responds. If it does then we can most likely work through any other issue you might run into.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Bootloader is the same on all the 2015 and 2016 8.4 radio variants so that is a good sign. They may all broadcast the same hardware ID.

[mfgVersion]
CMC_FrontController: app 01.01.06 - bolo 01.00.03
SierraWirelessUpdate: 1.1.3; ARX550_FP.01.08.27.80; BootLoader ARX550_FP.01.08.27.80

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know where I can buy a UAS radio :) I would be willing to work on it. Do you have access to the 300's UAS firmware and a full version of the 200's UC 3 firmware? Also, did they move away from QNX between UC 3 and UC 4? I know there was talk that FCA was working on a new version that ran on Linux (although now they are working with Google on moving to Android.. which technically is still Linux).

One other question.. What are the additional pink and purple ports on the back of the 300's radio that is missing from the 200?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know if they changed from QNX. I have the 200s firmware, but they have not released the UAS yet. I get it when there is an update which usually happens often. The extra ports are for video entertainment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts