Allpar Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'00+'01+'02s+'03s+'04 300m+'01 Ram
381 Posts
Maybe this is just a fluke, but I've been noticing a lack of 10W30 on the shelves, but see lots of 5W30 and 0W20. Is the 10W30 going away because it's not or hasn't been the spec for "modern" cars lately?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was curious about the Fram HP1 racing filter. I bought a box of 12 of them off ebay earlier this year (worked out to about $7 - 8 each). The box has no mention of any spec or certification (other than "Official filter of the NHRA"). Summit racing website has a really good filter-browser, you sort based on all sorts of parameters. Some filters will list a lot of details (like micron-size filter, relief valve opening pressure, burst pressure, etc.) and some don't. For vehicle I chose '04 300m, the smallest micron size that is listed is 5 (Fram HP3) the next is 18 (HP1), it goes up to 40 (Bosch Distance Plus). The Fram HP1 is listed as 18 micron. Mopar performance filter (P4452890) shows pretty much no such details. The Wix filters show 21 microns,

·
Super Moderator
21,026 Posts
Maybe this is just a fluke, but I've been noticing a lack of 10W30 on the shelves, but see lots of 5W30 and 0W20. Is the 10W30 going away because it's not or hasn't been the spec for "modern" cars lately?
Yes, 10W30 is an oil for older cars, not modern cars.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I always thought that if at all possible, it was best to pick an oil that had the lowest viscosity range that met your application. Because the modifiers that were added to achieve the viscosity range came with their own problems (longevity?). So a 5w30 probably has more of those modifiers than 10w30, and to me would be far less desirable to use.

·
Super Moderator
21,026 Posts
I always thought that if at all possible, it was best to pick an oil that had the lowest viscosity range that met your application. Because the modifiers that were added to achieve the viscosity range came with their own problems (longevity?). So a 5w30 probably has more of those modifiers than 10w30, and to me would be far less desirable to use.
It comes down to tolerances. Machining is much more precise. Too thick an oil is just as bad as too thin an oil. I figure the engineers designing the engine know their stuff do I run what they recommend which mean some of my cars get 10w30 or 10w40 and others 5w20 or 0w20.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Speaking of Castrol oil, is anyone using Castrol Magnatec? It's like 2 or 3 times the price of I guess regular Castrol. Supposed to "stick" to metal for when the engine isin't running, less wear for when the engine starts up.

But interestingly enough, a marketing angle like that doesn't seem to be aimed at the new-fangled way that the crazy new cars are operating (ie - shutting down the engine when you come to a stop, like at a red light). Which got me wondering if any oil company is thinking about making an oil for this new operating mode, if there are any technical or chemical reasons for a special formulation.

·
Super Moderator
21,026 Posts
Speaking of Castrol oil, is anyone using Castrol Magnatec? It's like 2 or 3 times the price of I guess regular Castrol. Supposed to "stick" to metal for when the engine isin't running, less wear for when the engine starts up.

But interestingly enough, a marketing angle like that doesn't seem to be aimed at the new-fangled way that the crazy new cars are operating (ie - shutting down the engine when you come to a stop, like at a red light). Which got me wondering if any oil company is thinking about making an oil for this new operating mode, if there are any technical or chemical reasons for a special formulation.
For no longer than an engine is off during a stop/start incident, any regular oil is still going to be clinging to the components that need lubrication.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had read this, and at first just noticed the "from the moment you turn the key" so I didn't think they were aiming for the "stop-start" mode of new vehicles, but on reading more I think this is exactly what this oil is aimed for:

====================
Castrol MAGNATEC’s unique formulation means even once oil has drained away from critical components, these intelligent molecules will remain, protecting from the moment you turn the key and significantly reducing wear in stop-start operating conditions* commonly experienced in urban commutes. Today an average daily driver can stop and start as many as 18,000 times a year and all that idling in traffic causes microscopic wear in your engine.
*As tested in the industry OM646LA test.
Castrol MAGNATEC STOP-START 10W-30 is suitable for use in automotive petrol and diesel engines where the manufacturer recommends an API SN, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 or earlier specification 10W-30 lubricant.
======================

21 - 30 of 30 Posts