Allpar Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DO NOT LET YOU KID (or other inexperienced driver) DRIVE THIS CAR !

First off, I have 34 years of driving experience and owning in at least 50-60 different makes, models cars, trucks, bikes etc...

I am not prejuded to any make/model/brand in particular.

I am currently in the market for a new daily driver. I have driven many new cars lately to include the 2013 Dart.

While at the Dodge/Chrysler dealership yesterday, I decided to test drive a new 2012 200 with the S package. This included the new Penstar 3.6 w/283 HP.

Well, I took it out to put it through it's paces like I do every other new car.

While on a deserted straight and level back road, I punched it to test the car's acceleration. I was SHOCKED when the engine was getting past 5000 RPMs and the front end started wandering WILDLY !! I literally about lost control!

I have NEVER experienced such poorly engineered torque steer! I couldn't believe how BAD the torque steer was so I tested it several more times. Yep, the suspension is a total POS when put under heavy throttle!

The car did ride nice and handled fair under "normal granny style" driving. Outside this zone, the car is flat out DANGEROUS!

Don't believe me ? Go drive one for yourself !

I really felt compelled to WARN other potential buyers of this product !!

DO NOT LET YOUR KID (or other inexperienced driver) DRIVE THIS CAR !!!

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
And what did you say to the dealer? What was the response?

My wife bought a 2012 200 Limited with 4 cyl. I have punched that to its limits a couple of times and it was rock steady. Yes, a lot less hp, but if your experience were typical, I'd expect to see some of the same on our model.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Well don't put it to the floor and its fine after a day of driving it becomes natural. The 3.6 is very strong. It not just the 200 s package its all Avenger/200 with the 3.6L. Also if you teach your kids how to react and not panic they will be fine. Also I don't even noticethe torque steer any more and I regularly bring it to the red line to pass trucks in short pass zone on back roads. Sorry the car scared you.
Mick

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
I have a question. Have you done the same test with another FWD ~283HP vehicle? If so, how did that go?

Thanks for the warning. I'd like to think that I've done a good job using my 30 years of driving experience to teach my child how not only to drive safely, but how to safely explore the limits of the car and how it will handle. The only time he's going to go from a standing stop and "punch it" is if he's drag racing at a track - and the chances of that happening are about as much as the sky turning purple, primarily because he doesn't enjoy driving.

·
Registered
695 Posts
PSSST... here's a little hint: When you step on it, just make sure the steering wheel is straight and you'll be fine ;)

I had a little bit of the torque steer surprise when I hopped on our Avenger R/T for the first time. I didn't find it to be all that big of a deal, but I also knew to be aware of it. And sure enough...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hmmm. Was this a used 200S or new? Maybe the car is a lemon and has bad bushings, tie rod ends, front end is out of alignment, a combination of any of those, ect. It might just be that individual 200S. Maybe try to drive a different 200 or Avenger which are equivalently optioned with the 3.6L. Its not scientific to say the vehicle is "unsafe" if you have not done so.

Personally I feel that if your driving under heavy throttle and your not rushing someone to the hospital or passing someone in a potentially dangerous situation (2 lane road, go around people in front of you) then you shouldn't be doing it anyway.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm going to call BS. I drove a 200 with the Pentastar literally half an hour after I drove a '95 Impala SS and I drove it like I drove that Impala, and I didn't have any trouble with excessive torque steer. Yes, I could feel it, a little, but nothing that scared me or my wife. We literally were mashing it from a complete stop, and mashing it from a steadyish speed to a much higher speed, etc. We didn't like how it seemed like it took awhile to find the correct gear when stomping on it while driving it, but that was the worst of what we experienced.

If you really did experience this torque steer then it's almost undoubtedly that particular car. Since they build tens or hundreds of thousands of them, it's no surprise to me if there are at least a few that have problems.

And yes, to answer the question, I actually bought the Impala, but it had a lot more to do with wanting one since I was an adolescent than it did major mechanical issues in the Mopar.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
I suspect we'll get silence back. This looks like a hit-and-run post to me. First post from someone who joined 4 1/2 years ago?

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Maybe a loose or slippery road surface could make it squirrely, but that isn't the cars fault.
The ESP (electronic stability program) has traction control duties which would limit an aggressive throttle opening if wheel slip was detected.
There is not enough information here to draw a conclusion on what happened.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is either an issue with the OP or the OP's car. My mom's 200 limited is essentially the same (since the S is cosmetic/feature differentiated) and do not have an issue with WOT torque steer that makes me nervous one bit. I do notice it, but it is a complete non-issue. The only thing that seems to really upset the suspension is certain ramps with very lousy surfaces where you are banking a turn at a decent rate of speed with what feels like snowboarding moguls to the car. The issue is the impact isn't felt in the driver (as it would in a sports sedan) and it doesn't send the car flying (as it might in a relaxed cruiser) but rather cushions the hit, but is a little aggressive in the rebound to return to proper position.

The car handles brilliantly on the trips with smooth road, and can take those corners extremely well-more so in a lower gear. It also absorbs the punishment from potholes, but it just can't perform miracles and ignore beat up road lower back pain and still handle as if on the track.

Considering the only times I would use WOT 3.6L pentastar force is at the track (never go) and merge points that are straight (or close to it) or passing when need be (and to be safe, it has to be viewable ahead-ie, straight enough), that I don't see slight torque steer an offense.

I cannot be sure the difference between the sebring and the 200, but the 200 sure feels like a winner behind the wheel. One of the few cars that I can tolerate a long road trip it, without feeling like I am in a boat, and without floaty driving. When I say car, I do mean car. I liked the caliber, but those seats were a tad firm for 500 miles. The old civic was punishing in transmitting road abuse to the spine. My friend's taurus can coast for hours, but there is a reason it has so much damage from the attempt at sporting a corner.

It is hard to take the OP seriously spouting fire and doom as a first post without so much as a question as to if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds like you never drove the old FWD Turbo Dodges. They had torque steer, everything from the Omni GLH Turbo to the Shadows with the V6. If you are not expecting it, yeah it can feel dangerous. I can't believe that the 200S would have more torque steer than a Shelby GLHS. Alot of the reviews I have read on the 200 with the V6 all said it did have torque steer. Car and Driver said it the best when they tested the Omni GLH Turbo. The accelerator pedal was a lane changing switch and soon as you put your foot down you were automaticly going to be the next lane.

·
Administrator
35,237 Posts
... I read the same thing about one of the old 426 Hemi cars ;) ("Better have a lane next to you.") Though I think they were talking about a pre-production model before the Hemi cars got the beefed up suspensions.

I had a Spirit R/T, which was the fastest car sold in America in its time, slightly modified (mandrel-bent exhaust, performance muffler). That was the Turbo III ... stick-shift. Yeah, the front end seemed to lighten up quite a bit when it was running at full tilt. You got used to it pretty quickly and it was very controllable, though I would not want to race it on a curvy track.

The 200 V6 and Avenger V6 are nothing like that.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
When the 200 came out, I test drove one with the V6 and there was not much trouqe steer, noticble but easy enough to handle.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have never encountered a vehicle with torque steer in the last 3 years of driving. The only instance of any movement is a 3.3 156k 95 Caravan with a shot motor mount... My 200 horse 2700lbs Sebring doesn't even move the steering wheel, it just lights up the front tires...

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
SInce the original poster expressed great concern, but has not posted since in 5 days, and it was his first post since joining 4 1/2 years ago, I'm calling TROLL. I think we can just end this topic.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My sister just bought a 2012 Avenger 3.6 and I put some miles on it over the weekend. While there is torque steer, it is nothing that isn't manageable! I never felt unsafe. It sure feels nice to step on it though, makes my 2.7 in my Stratus feel kind of slow, even though when I bought it in 02 it felt like a rocket:)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
When the 200 came out, I test drove one with the V6 and there was not much trouqe steer, noticble but easy enough to handle.
How is the torque steer in the new van?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have to agree with most on this thread, that the torque steer isn't that bad. My one reservation would be if your on a crowned back road and try to have some spirited driving, then you may get yourself into trouble. I'm not knocking the 200, loved mine while I had it. If the paint job had been decent I would still have it. Miss the power of the pentastar for sure!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.