Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our 2012 Chrysler 200 has been leaking some type of chalky white liquid from one door (drivers side rear) and the trunk lid. for the door it is on the metal "sill" part just outside the rubber gasket.

at 1st we thought the kids spilled a vanilla milkshake and it dried up but they hadn't had any (no one is allowed to eat in this car) and it also comes back a day or 2 after you clean it up.

Took it to one dealer (still under 12000 mile warrenty, barely) and he said i couldn't tell what it was and never seen anything like it before.

I'm guessing it comes from inside the door. I'm sure it wasn't rust-proofed by the dealer as they would have certainly charged for it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
31,978 Posts
We've had one of these cars for 5 months now, never seen anything like that.

My best guess would be that someone went crazy spraying white lithium grease inside, and rain is washing it down and out the drain holes.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought about that but I didn't think white lithium grease would dry and turn powery like that.

·
Super Moderator
31,978 Posts
White powdery residue can also be an aluminum oxide.

·
Registered
682 Posts
if there's any hint of oxidization inside the door there's a structural integrity issue to be ruled out. Where on the trunk is this residue appearing?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on the truck its showing up right under the licence plate on the bumper. Again it looks like dried milk shake/ice cream dripped on the surfaces under the door and trunk and ran down the rocker panel or bumper but is dry now and is powdery when touched.

we've cleaned the door off 2 times now.

Dealer didn't really want to look at i or pull then door open to see what it is.

Is there that much aluminum in the door to coorode and leave that kind of deposits?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it to the original dealer whom we don't care for and have it looked at.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
have you been down any gravel roads. When I drive down gravel roads and then wash the car I get a simular thing.
Mick

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was there when a friend removed a door panel from his 2008 Chrysler 300C and found a denture partial plate in there! No way in heck did that panel come off before we removed it. Sure solved the rattle though.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If it was on a Dart it might be pasta from Italy. :lol:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
this is just my 2 cents, but it may be the Silicone Spray they use on the Weatherstripping to keep it from sticking to the Doors/Trunklid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts