Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Administrator
35,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Mustang sales may have dropped by 7.4%, but the car used in almost every movie and television show since 1965 still took the muscle-car sales championship with 75,842 buyers in 2018. The Dodge Challenger, which has been made less consistently than either the Mustang or the Chevrolet Camaro, but whose current iteration is perhaps closest to the original, scored the #2 slot, with 66,716 buyers—a 3.4% increase over 2017.

Taking a distant third place, the Chevrolet Camaro came in at 50,963—a 25% drop from 2017. Oddly, that drop exactly matched the Corvette’s fall, to 18,791. The Corvette’s issue may be buyers waiting for the mid-engined version.

The Challenger is, like the Charger, due for a new generation, likely to be launched next year as a 2021 model. From various informal accounts, Allpar has heard that the two cars, to be joined by a crossover Chrysler rather than the usual sedan, will include aspects of both the L-series cars and the “Giorgio” architecture currently used only by Alfa Romeo. Engines are likely to include a new version of the Hemi V8, a turbo four, and either a mildly updated Pentastar or the rumored straight-six (which might also be slated only for trucks and Jeeps).

Read the whole post here.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I know we hashed this out in another thread recently, but the Camaro sales slump is surprising. It's hands down the best handling car of the 3 according to almost every media review and test, it's the fastest car of the 3 (if you don't count the ultra-expensive Hellcat/Demon models), and it's arguably the best looking car of the 3. I realize the interior visibility gets terrible marks, and there's always the piss-poor GM engineering and quality to worry about, but the Camaro has a LOT of positives going for it and I'm shocked that it's sales are that low.

Even more interesting is that Dodge's entry is now what, 10 or 11 years old? It's had refreshes along the way, but the car overall is a decade old or more now, and it's still selling like hotcakes. And as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Camaro is arguably the best looking?!?!?! I suppose if your a 14 year old ……… it cartoonish in my opinion and both Mustang and Camaro are too small too be useful. It might be a better track car but face it track car market is small, most people need a car that can be driven daily also and Challenger is of the 3 the best daily driver by far.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
If 2021 release, when can we expect to see mules and teasers?
If they can help it NEVER... Spotting a slightly cobbled up Charger or Challenger is going to the key and tough.

·
Jeepaholic
5,624 Posts
Mustang is due for a replacement soon too IIRC. Hopefully they redo that awful snout.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I know we hashed this out in another thread recently, but the Camaro sales slump is surprising. It's hands down the best handling car of the 3 according to almost every media review and test, it's the fastest car of the 3 (if you don't count the ultra-expensive Hellcat/Demon models), and it's arguably the best looking car of the 3. I realize the interior visibility gets terrible marks, and there's always the piss-poor GM engineering and quality to worry about, but the Camaro has a LOT of positives going for it and I'm shocked that it's sales are that low.

Even more interesting is that Dodge's entry is now what, 10 or 11 years old? It's had refreshes along the way, but the car overall is a decade old or more now, and it's still selling like hotcakes. And as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I like the Camaro and it's arguable cartoon looks, the problem is the roof line is too low for me at 6-1" and without the headsup, I can't see the gauges. I can barely see right or left and I can't tell how fast I am going so I am basically squished in something that I would be driving blind. so it would be voted off the island for me

When I move the seat back to actually sit in any of them, the rear seat is useless, not a big deal for me.

The Mustang's seating room in the front is not the best for me, so the only one left is the Challenger. Now with the seat lower I won't rub the rest of the hair off my balding head.

Personally, the the R/T Scat pack with the 6.4L for the win!!!

Wil

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The Challenger is a better value than Cramaro and Muskrat because the Dodge is a four seasons car. Some of the SRT packed Challengers may be questionable when the snow flies, but most Challenger drivers need not fear winter driving. I wonder what the take rate is on AWD Challengers?

One can drive a Camaro or Mustang year round in the snowbelt, but only by the stubbornness of the owner.

The Camaro is an automotive equivalent of a Speedo. It is sexy and minimalist for only a few very select humans.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I wonder what the take rate is on AWD Challengers?
x2. Media consensus seems to applaud the AWD option but are they selling enough? I really hope so. A short burst of the Dodge AWD ads could get those Challenger sales closer to #1.:)

·
Jeepaholic
5,624 Posts
The Challenger is a better value than Cramaro and Muskrat because the Dodge is a four seasons car. Some of the SRT packed Challengers may be questionable when the snow flies, but most Challenger drivers need not fear winter driving. I wonder what the take rate is on AWD Challengers?

One can drive a Camaro or Mustang year round in the snowbelt, but only by the stubbornness of the owner.

The Camaro is an automotive equivalent of a Speedo. It is sexy and minimalist for only a few very select humans.
Having a Mustang, I don’t attempt to drive it in the snow unless caught out unprepared. I’ve had the wheels spin in my driveway with about 2 inches on the ground...though my tires were getting a little bald. In the rain it’s perfectly fine...though I do get nervous when the roads flood because of the low ground clearance,

But...that’s why I have a Jeep too. Ain’t no stopping that! :p

At 5’8, it’s fine for me, but my son looks like he’s going to be well over 6 feet tall (44 inches tall on his 4th birthday) so it would be difficult for him in the back seat. A Challenger would be a better choice for sure.

Reactions: James A

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Mustang is due for a replacement soon too IIRC. Hopefully they redo that awful snout.
Pedestrian impact standard for Europe my friend the people at Ford aren't even happy with it.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
x2. Media consensus seems to applaud the AWD option but are they selling enough? I really hope so. A short burst of the Dodge AWD ads could get those Challenger sales closer to #1.:)
And more capacity shifted to it...… Ford and GM can beat Challenger in Sales anytime they want, but they would lose money to do it.

·
Jeepaholic
5,624 Posts
Pedestrian impact standard for Europe my friend the people at Ford aren't even happy with it.
Grumble grumble impact standards grumble grumble darn European standards grumble grumble phooey phooey grumble grumble. :eek:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any idea of what percentage of Mustang and Camaro sales are convertibles? I wonder how much better Challenger sales would be if a convertible were available.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Grumble grumble impact standards grumble grumble darn European standards grumble grumble phooey phooey grumble grumble. :eek:
Yeah, I hear things... and that isn't far off. They are totally unpleased with what compromises they had to make to do well in that test. My argument is spend the money for 2 different for each standard.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Any idea of what percentage of Mustang and Camaro sales are convertibles? I wonder how much better Challenger sales would be if a convertible were available.
Minimal the plant is choosing the mix now based on which gets better margin, it would also add complexity to a already complex pull system. It would almost have to be done off line or post...… better question is how many more could have sold if the Chinese run Magnesium could have managed not to keep catching on fire.

·
Jeepaholic
5,624 Posts
Our family of 4 was able to do a week vacation with a Challenger. No way we could fit in a Camaro.
Besides, not everyone wants to ride around in a track riding car where they will feel and hear every bump in the road...that gets old real fast!
You and I had discussed this before I believe. I’ve always said that we've made my Mustang work for the few times we’ve actually used it for family...and we did. But after talking to you I decided to actually sit in the back seat, something that I’m not sure I had ever done before...just subjected others to.

Long story short, you were absolutely correct...the back seat is no place for anyone over 6 foot. I’m 5’8 and I was brushing the top of my head. My son will never fit back there when he gets bigger, at least not without leaving a mark...either on him or the vehicle itself. It’ll be a moot point anyway, we’ll trade it long before it becomes an issue. Something more comfortable for the old fart that I’m becoming. :D

1 - 20 of 84 Posts