Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forums and classic MOPAR.

I have a problem that I hope someone here may be able to give me some insight on.

Today, I changed my fuel filter on my 76 cordoba (400 4bl). the existing one looked like it had never been replaced and with 45,0000 miles and 37 years, I thought it was time.

Prior to changing, it started right up no issues.

after the change, it will not start.

Any thoughts, any help is appreciated

Thanks

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Pull the fuel line off somewhere close to the carburetor and direct it into an empty gas can or other suitable container. You may need to get a longer piece of flexible fuel line to do this. Then crank the starter and see if any fuel pumps into the container. If not, something's obstructing the fuel flow or the fuel pump has coincidentally given out.

Might be a good idea to check the filter for which direction it's supposed to flow first, in case you installed it backwards.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I got it installed correctly, If it is installed backwards, will it be fouled? and should I get a new one? or do I just flip it? I will check when I get home.

I hope its not the fuel pump!

Thanks

TWX said:
Pull the fuel line off somewhere close to the carburetor and direct it into an empty gas can or other suitable container. You may need to get a longer piece of flexible fuel line to do this. Then crank the starter and see if any fuel pumps into the container. If not, something's obstructing the fuel flow or the fuel pump has coincidentally given out.

Might be a good idea to check the filter for which direction it's supposed to flow first, in case you installed it backwards.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
I agree with Tannon, very possible that it was installed backwards. If so, it won't flow or will flow too little to run. There is usually an arrow on the outside of the case, or some text, to indicate fuel flow direction. It should not be damaged if it were installed backwards.

If that isn't the issue, look to see if you accidentally disconnected a wire, vacuum tube or something while working on the filter.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will check when I get home later today.
Bob Lincoln said:
I agree with Tannon, very possible that it was installed backwards. If so, it won't flow or will flow too little to run. There is usually an arrow on the outside of the case, or some text, to indicate fuel flow direction. It should not be damaged if it were installed backwards.

If that isn't the issue, look to see if you accidentally disconnected a wire, vacuum tube or something while working on the filter.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, it was not a fuel filter problem. somehow I managed to unhook the lean burn plug (probably when I changed the air filter). after I plugged it back in, started right up.

Thanks for all the help :oops:

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
chykov's76doba said:
well, it was not a fuel filter problem. somehow I managed to unhook the lean burn plug (probably when I changed the air filter). after I plugged it back in, started right up.

Thanks for all the help :oops:
Things happen. The fact that your ELB still works on a 1976 400-4V is amazing just the same; they weren't known for being reliable and your 'doba is almost 40 years old. :)

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Yeah, I suspect that the bulk of ELB issues for vehicles that do run is that the system doesn't really account for poorer tolerances due to wear. When the timing chain gets some slop, the carburetor bushings get worn, the cylinder walls get tapered, and the rings don't seal as well, the system continues with its original programming even though the timing, vacuum, and compression aren't what they were when it was new.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been thinking about installing a conversion kit for the lean burn. Will I have to change out the carburetor as well as the distributor?

Any recommendations on which kit?

Funny thing is the car starts right up, I don't even have to pump the gas a couple times! And it runs pretty smooth. I just hear that I will get better performance and mileage if I switch out the lean burn.

Thanks

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
When I switched my '78 I didn't have to change the carb, but my carb had the correct kind of vacuum port, albeit plugged.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
The main thing you gain when removing the early Lean Burn system is a better spark advance curve. I think that's part of what made them more economical was the lazy spark advance. The conversion generally will make the car seem faster due to the better advance though I suspect overall power is unchanged. I've yet to be lucky enough to find a proper vacuum port for any car I converted. The good news is you'll probably gain a little power form an earlier carb because it is probably jetted a little richer. Better mileage really isn't something you'll gain from the conversion unless the car wasn't running right with the Lean Burn to begin with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts