Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i put v6 magnum out of 2001 dodge ram,8th vin-x,into a 2006 dodge dakota vin-k, if so do i need to change computer and wiring harness

·
Super Moderator
32,248 Posts
Almost certainly. The 2001 Magnum V-6 is a 3.9L, isn't it? That was gone by 2006.

But another concern is that some states require you to maintain the vehicle to the emissions certification of the vehicle model year. Putting an older engine in a newer vehicle may result in them failing you at inspection, depending on what they look at.

·
Super Moderator
37,703 Posts
No, this won't be an easy swap.
The 2001 is a 3.9 Magnum V6, the 2006 is a 3.7 V6.
You'd basically have to rewire the whole truck to make it work, including the transmission needing swapped. Could it be done? Yes. Is it worth the money and time to do the swap? Not likely.
If you need the truck back on the road, swap in the same engine it already has, another 3.7.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we
No, this won't be an easy swap.
The 2001 is a 3.9 Magnum V6, the 2006 is a 3.7 V6.
You'd basically have to rewire the whole truck to make it work, including the transmission needing swapped. Could it be done? Yes. Is it worth the money and time to do the swap? Not likely.
If you need the truck back on the road, swap in the same engine it already has, another 3.7.
well one could hope,lol, i have a 2001 ram w/ title issues and a 2006 dakota w no engine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ty,was hoping to make a truck go down the road legit w/ what i have,kinda puts a damper on parade

·
Premium Member
20,146 Posts
Yeah, not an easy swap at all. Everything would have to be swapped, including the gauge cluster and BCM (at this point in time) and that may not be possible without highly modifying things. Part out the truck and chop the rest of it up into pieces and salvage it, then use the money to get a long block 3.7 if you can't find an inexpensive, low miles one in a salvage yard.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,967 Posts
Better off getting what you can for the Dakota and Ram and purchasing a used truck or whatever you need/want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts