Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a used rebuilt transmission put in my 93 new yorker. Shifts fine as long as your giving the engine gas to accelerate. If you baby it along in traffic at slow acceleration or no acceleration it does the chrysler lock and unlock at 38-42 mph. I am thinking it may be the TCM on the passinger fender. I have another tcm from 93 dynasty that worker fine in that car. Can I switch the tcm without disconnecting the battery? I mean as soon as you pull the electrical connector on the tcm it will stop voltage to it, so does it matter? Has anyone done it before? Whats the correct procedure to change it out?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
The correct procedure would be to disconnect the battery first.
Ideally you want a TCM with 4686606 on the sticker as that is the latest reflash.
Once you have made the swap, the ideal procedure is to hook up a scanner that can interface with the transmission computer and perform a quick learn. If a scanner is not available the shift quality may be poor until the TCM adapts to the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
Agree. As there is battery power to the TCM for memory back-up, you can inadvertently create a voltage spike that may possibly damage the TCM.
A battery disconnect is recommended for any service where a sensitive solid state component may need to be unplugged. It is just best practice. Reset your clock and stations when done to complete the service.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went ahead and disconnected the battery, changed out to another TCM that came from a car with good working tranny. Put my snap on scanner to the car. Started it and the only error code I got was 12 (Battery Disconnect) Couldn't remeber which screen had the quik learn on the scanner so I thought I would take it for a drive. Everything shifted good, no more lock-in lock out at the 38-42, it locked in and held. So I erased the 12 code and looks like all is good.

Just for knowledge I called local autozone to see what a tcm for 1993 new yorker would cost and they asked when car was made. Looked at the door build date and it was 9-92. They said the only tcm they could get was for cars made 2-93 or newer and that they couldn't get a tcm for a new yorker that old. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

Just wanted to thank you guys for the advice and when I run into problems this is the first place I usually go. I really like the 90-93 style new yorker. They are easy to work on, ride better than some of the newer cars I have driven.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
I have seen nothing in the Chrysler documentation for a mid-year split on the 1993 TCM. That was the first year of the reflashable TCM so I wonder if some of the early ones used the old non-reflashable units and switched mid year to the reflashable ones? Even if that were the case, the reflashable replaced the non-reflashable. Event he 1993 parts catalog only lists one TCM so I suspect Autozone's listing may be wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's kinda what I was thinking that they discontinued the old one and all replacements would be the new style. The price was $148.00 and they gave a 1 yr warranty on it. Didn't think that was too bad a price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts