Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to do an oil change on a friend's 2012 journey with the cartridge oil filter this weekend. What is involved in changing the filter? I see there is a nut on top of the housing that looks like a socket would fit on it. Does it just come apart in two pieces,or does the housing come off in one piece and I have to take it apart to change the filter outside of the vehicle? thanks for any help!!

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
The only thing I would add to the video would be to smear a layer of fresh motor oil to the rubber o-ring before installing the filter to the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaLThhCqFao

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!! that was VERY helpful. she lives 20 miles away,and now i don't have to take all the tools i own to make sure I have the right sizes!! :)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I was wondering if this new oil filter setup allows one to prefill the filter housing with oil before inserting the new filter element? On most Chrysler engine applications that have the disposable filter mounted veritcally or on an angle, you can prefill about 1/2 - 3/4 of the filter capacity before installation. If you pour oil into the housing before installing the filter element does the oil drain through the engine into the oil pan?

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
I also pre-fill the spin-on filters before installing them. The oil pressure is right there after starting the engine after an oil change because the pump doesn't have to fill the filter up first and delay critically needed oil pressure.
I don't know if the cartridge housing will hold fresh oil before installing the filter element. The housing is usually empty by the time I change the element, so I believe that they do drain out into the crankcase rapidly. I have never had a long delay in building pressure or bearing rap after start up from changing the oil in the cartridge style engines.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
I also pre-fill the spin-on filters before installing them. The oil pressure is right there after starting the engine after an oil change because the pump doesn't have to fill the filter up first and delay critically needed oil pressure.
I don't know if the cartridge housing will hold fresh oil before installing the filter element. The housing is usually empty by the time I change the element, so I believe that they do drain out into the crankcase rapidly. I have never had a long delay in building pressure or bearing rap after start up from changing the oil in the cartridge style engines.
From the video it would appear that the old element was not dripping in oil when it was removed. So the oil drains away from the filter when the engine is shut down. I would think one would want the filter to remain filled with oil to reduce the low or no oil pressure to bearings during the first few seconds of engine start. It probably is not that significant an issue. Skipped oil changes and running engines low on oil and other neglectful and abusive habits probably shorten the life of an engine much more than an extra second or two at startup without full oil pressure.

I believe auto manufacturers starting using disposable oil filters in the mid-1950s. I am sure it was less messy using a throw-away filter than removing and cleaning the canister housing. Those were typically mounted vertically and that required a drip pan to catch all the oil that ran down the size of the canister shell when it was loosened. It is interesting that manufacturers are reversing themselves and eliminating disposable filters. There was always some oil left in the filter and that would be a big negative for landfills.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,387 Posts
Having done the oil change on the 3.6 engine in my own Journey, I can confirm that the oil filter housing does NOT retain any oil when the engine is not running. Pre-filling the chamber would be a waste of time as the oil would immediately drain down to the oil pan.

This is the easiest oil filter change I've ever done. I used a crescent wrench to loosen the cap of the housing. The oil filter is affixed to the housing cap. Just pop it off and then pop the new filter medium on. Replace the cap with new filter attached. DONE. No mess of oil raining down as you unscrew an upside down filter and no pre-filling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts