Allpar Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,506 Posts
I have never been able to move the crank in & out by hand. It's always required the use of a pry bar & dial micrometer.
The sprocket is pressed onto the crankshaft as far as it will go. It will butt up against the seal journal. It can't be pressed on too far.
If the timing belt was fraying and coming apart, there is a problem. Belt don't stretch, they snap.

·
Registered
2003 PT Cruiser GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Pulled the crank sprocket off - there was definitely a leak from the seal, but it hasn't walked out and being that this is an '03 and the thrust bearing problems seem to have been limited to later model years I'm hoping that isn't the case here and that the new belt won't rub against the cover.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Auto part

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't want to do that job twice. If it were mine and looked like that, I'd be at the salvage yard looking for another short block assembly.

·
Registered
2003 PT Cruiser GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
ajerimez, I just wanted to thank you for all the detail you're providing, and for the photos. If you don't mind telling us how it goes from here and what you've decided, that would be great. The more I see about other people fixing these cars, the better I get at it.
You're welcome, I'll keep posting updates. Will do the valve cover gaskets, intake plenum gasket, and this leaky turbo coolant hose at the rear while the motor's out, which will be replaced with silicone:
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fender Rim

There's also a spaghetti-looking black metal coolant pipe assembly that wraps around the front of the motor to the driver's side to connect to the heater core and turbo that was badly corroded. Pulled a cleaner one at a pick-a-part yard and will swap it out. I'm going to be away for about a week but will return with more pics and a follow-through in September.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts