Allpar Forums banner

121 - 140 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Do American cities not have street-lighting? I'm pretty sure the ones I've been to weren't pitch black at night, so someone must have brought electricity out to the curb-side every fifty feet or so. Shouldn't be too hard to set up charging posts either.

@Charger Red you should visit Europe sometime, you might like it. Oh, but bring your cycling shoes. Treadmills? It's all bikes these days, man...

·
Registered
41 Posts
[ vair-ee-uhnt ]
SEE SYNONYMS FOR variant ON THESAURUS.COM
adjective
tending to change or alter; exhibiting variety or diversity; varying: variant shades of color.
not agreeing or conforming; differing, especially from something of the same general kind.
not definitive, as a version of part of a text; different; alternative: a variant reading.
not universally accepted.
noun
a person or thing that varies.
a different spelling, pronunciation, or form of the same word: “Vehemency” is a variant of “vehemence.”

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm certainly not saying an EV is right for everyone, but I am saying that in many cases it could work well if that was someone's choice.[/Q
I've lived in Europe - they don't generate electricity by treadmill :D
Same here but it was in the pre Carbon Emissions tracking era. My family tells me that they are waiting for the US to globalize before they can legislate the treadmills.:eek:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Do American cities not have street-lighting? I'm pretty sure the ones I've been to weren't pitch black at night, so someone must have brought electricity out to the curb-side every fifty feet or so. Shouldn't be too hard to set up charging posts either.

@Charger Red you should visit Europe sometime, you might like it. Oh, but bring your cycling shoes. Treadmills? It's all bikes these days, man...
I'm a dual national (US/EU) so my (albeit exaggerated) opinions are based on experience. But here's the serious part - EU is different than the US and they need us (US) so they can all be in a better position - nuff said.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
When they said 3 years, is it 21, 22, 23 or 22, 23, 24?

Reactions: James A

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are they holding on to the current generation to give them time to finish the development of an electric platform to move the Charger/Challenger to in 24? I would like to see them develop a skateboard architecture that they could just change the tophat for different vehicles.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Anyone's guess, certainly not mine, as to what's really in the plans. At a base level I'd see this as just buying time for other factors to develop. Though it would be so great to see a substantive refresh like we saw in 2011 for Charger and 2015 for Challenger, I'm hearing that even a Ghibli underpinning is not likely - but this, too is speculation.

So, to me, the most likely scenario is buying time.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Very likely there will be mild hybrids / hybrid Charger / Challenger based on new generation ZF 8HP transmission that includes the electric motors in the transmission housing replacing the torque converter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anyone's guess, certainly not mine, as to what's really in the plans. At a base level I'd see this as just buying time for other factors to develop. Though it would be so great to see a substantive refresh like we saw in 2011 for Charger and 2015 for Challenger, I'm hearing that even a Ghibli underpinning is not likely - but this, too is speculation.

So, to me, the most likely scenario is buying time
I agree, the cars future now lands in Tavares hands. They had been buying time with them since they were punted from the scheduled 2018 complete re-do's.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I agree, the cars future now lands in Tavares hands. They had been buying time with them since they were punted from the scheduled 2018 complete re-do's.
Have him drive a Hellcat Charger...

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
Funny, I'd really been led to believe (mostly by T690 or MJAB) that they were being moved to Giorgio instead.

Again, do we have serious real confirmation other than the lack of stated investment in Brampton that we are going to be on LA/LC/LD for another three years?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I’ll argue against the term “dying” for the sedan market. Waning is more like it. Just like mini vans, the segment shrank, but didn’t die. There are still station wagons you can buy in the US.
Fca put a lot of money to develop a new minivan for the “dying” market, and produced imho the best in the segment. (I bought one).
I really think the sales numbers justify the cost to keep these sedans going, but I’ll ask again,
What is it that people want out of these cars? What needs to change? Make it all aluminum? Why? Give it hover ability? Maybe sliding doors? Besides being “old” what’s wrong with the bones? It passes safely tests right?
I get weight, but how much does an s class or 7 series weigh? Jeeze, how much does a gt500 weigh? I find that most who complain about the weight aren’t owners, but other brand enthusiasts looking for something to hate on, or auto journalists (who tend to rewrite press releases and insert popular opinion).

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
I’ll argue against the term “dying” for the sedan market. Waning is more like it. Just like mini vans, the segment shrank, but didn’t die. There are still station wagons you can buy in the US.
Fca put a lot of money to develop a new minivan for the “dying” market, and produced imho the best in the segment. (I bought one).
I really think the sales numbers justify the cost to keep these sedans going, but I’ll ask again,
What is it that people want out of these cars? What needs to change? Make it all aluminum? Why? Give it hover ability? Maybe sliding doors? Besides being “old” what’s wrong with the bones? It passes safely tests right?
I get weight, but how much does an s class or 7 series weigh? Jeeze, how much does a gt500 weigh? I find that most who complain about the weight aren’t owners, but other brand enthusiasts looking for something to hate on, or auto journalists (who tend to rewrite press releases and insert popular opinion).
It's not just about vehicle weight. The styling add "visual" weight. The cars feel ponderous, rather than light-footed and nimble.

In my opinion, they need to feel less heavy even if they don't (or can't reasonably) make them lighter.
They need to increase glass are, both for safety and for a less cave-like experience.
They need to find nice looking interior fabrics (I'm specifically talking the "leather" trims) that looks nice, feels nice and (this is the big one) doesn't look worn after 20k miles. They need to make a passenger compartment that's easier to get in and out of for a taller person. They need to make the trunk opening better. I'm tired of these cars scraping on curbs and speed bumps.
I've had a Magnum, two 300's, and four Challengers. Never a Charger as the looks don't appeal to me.
I've written longer and more detailed posts on the continued shortcomings of these cars (from my opinion only, but I've owned several and am entitled to my opinion, especially when people who haven't bought these cars think a new super-big engine, new colors, new wheels, etc. will keep these cars alive and successful unchanged for years down the road..

121 - 140 of 232 Posts