Allpar Forums banner

161 - 180 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
@sickboy, I think we'd like them to feel lighter and nimbler (Maserati style front suspension), have a nicer ride on the 300 and all the V6 versions (I suspect more $ in springs and shocks would help), and be more reliable overall... though reliability doesn't seem bad as far as I can tell. I'd like to see the transmission software re-examined, improved, and expanded on — these transmissions can handle a huge number of modes and Chrysler/Dodge use very few compared with Alfa and Maserati. I'd like to see the V6 have a "fast shift" button which does nothing but apply 392 Hemi shifting speeds, for those who like responsiveness but don't want or need a V8 (gas mileage and insurance concerns).

In the mid-to-late 1990s, every single Chrysler product saw dozens if not hundreds of improvements every year as engineers pursued and fixed bugs and problems from warranty reports. That was possible under the platform-team/empowered teams system. I'd love to see that come back.
This is a very good request. And is absolutely reasonable.
What’s really a kick in the pants is most of what you want in the transmission is probably in the car already. The tazer by zautomotive unlocks the computer and allows for sport and track and eco modes, activate panel shifters if you install some, choose any splash screen, and so on.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
This is a very good request. And is absolutely reasonable.
What’s really a kick in the pants is most of what you want in the transmission is probably in the car already. The tazer by zautomotive unlocks the computer and allows for sport and track and eco modes, activate panel shifters if you install some, choose any splash screen, and so on.
Well... the capability is in the transmission but Chrysler does not allow it... as you say. I was talking mostly about shift modes but yes, I WOULD like both sport and eco modes. Track mode is maybe a bit excessive for a daily driver but ...

And I am annoyed that the paddle shifters were not in the 300C, only the 300S, along with an extra 15 hp. I would have liked both but it's mostly my wife's car, and the 300C interior is way nicer.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Let’s see what variants they haven’t done yet:
Challenger Widebody 1320
Challenger Widebody Shaker 1320
Challenger Shaker 1320
Charger 1320
Charger Widebody 1320
Charger Redeye narrow body

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Charger Daytona with aero nose & huge rear spoiler!

Reactions: tlc and AvengerGuy

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
But they weren’t. The Taurus had a compromised trunk. I’m not a fan of bench seats. Buckets are fine as long as the console leaves me knee room.
"compromised trunk"??? The 08,09 Taurus basicaly a updated 500 had a HUGE trunk. When I say bench I mean the split bench seat that was the standard bench seat since the mid 80's.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
"compromised trunk"??? The 08,09 Taurus basicaly a updated 500 had a HUGE trunk. When I say bench I mean the split bench seat that was the standard bench seat since the mid 80's.
Have you actually loaded or unloaded a 500 or Taurus trunk? Yes, it’s large. But it is compromised by a small opening. So you can’t load many large items, and for smaller items you have to load things then shove them forward to use all the room.

Reactions: Dave Z

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Have you actually loaded or unloaded a 500 or Taurus trunk? Yes, it’s large. But it is compromised by a small opening. So you can’t load many large items, and for smaller items you have to load things then shove them forward to use all the room.
The trunk opening being small is true for all sedans but the 08,09 taurus trunk opening is bigger then all the others.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My wife would have been tickled to death to see a 2020 300 Limited in person, and talked to a salesman who knew anything about the car, so she could have decided what to order, but now I hear the Limited and 300 models have been discontinued in 2021. Looks like neither she nor I will be able to order what we want, since the Pacifica Limited will only be offered with all-wheel drive or hybrid, and both are a non-starter for me.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
My wife would have been tickled to death to see a 2020 300 Limited in person, and talked to a salesman who knew anything about the car, so she could have decided what to order, but now I hear the Limited and 300 models have been discontinued in 2021. Looks like neither she nor I will be able to order what we want, since the Pacifica Limited will only be offered with all-wheel drive or hybrid, and both are a non-starter for me.
They renamed the Limited, they didn't drop it... as far as I know. I think it's now the Touring L.

What’s new for ’21? The big list of changes (at https://www.allpar.com/news/2020/09/whats-new-for-21-the-big-list-of-changes-48449 )

“Possibly now in its last year, the 2021 Chrysler 300 is no longer available in 300C form, though the 300C is really still there as the 300 Touring L (without a Hemi, but the 300C had a base V6 in 2013). Buyers can get the 300 as Touring or Touring L, with a 292 hp V6, or as a 300S with a 300 hp V6 or Hemi V8. Both Touring L and S can get front and rear park assist, blind-spot monitoring, and rear cross path detection. The 300S includes the 2020 Red S Appearance Package. There are new option packages for the Touring models, which can bring it up to full (except V8) 300C equipment.”

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just wanna add, do you think that the delays of these cars could help improve quality since they've been in development for quite a while?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I just wanna add, do you think that the delays of these cars could help improve quality since they've been in development for quite a while?
Do we have any indication of how long the next generation has been in development?? Last I read they planned to basically update the current platform and architecture. Not sure where any of this stands now...

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
I think I just figured it out.

This week, Volvo launched a new SUV. It's $60,000 and BEV. Should be around 250 mile range.
Quarter mile under 12 seconds, 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. More power than a 392; torque is nearly Hellcat level. It's their first BEV, I think.

Five years from now, will there still be gasoline powered muscle? Consider BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, Jaguar, etc., all doing BEVs. Look at the price of a 392 Charger and compare it to this Volvo SUV, then compare performance. I vaguely recall Giorgio being BEV compatible but that's maybe based on an outdated set of assumptions about state of the art in BEV.

161 - 180 of 232 Posts